VAT not showing for items im selling....

sk1
New Community Member

HI,

I have created a button for my website.

I have also set the VAT % in my profile.

When I click the buy button the VAT is not being added to the total??? I thought the process would add on the correct amount of VAT so that my clients can see exactly how much they have to pay.

I have considered adding the amount of VAT to the price during the creation of the button but im not 100% sure that my customers will be charged again for VAT once in paypal.

I suppose Im just a little confused about how Paypal handles VAT on purchases.

Any advice would be helpful.

S

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

demsley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but is there a solution?

I've tried everything suggested on the PayPal developers site:

I've added a VAT rate to my profile, I've added a hidden field called 'tax' to my form with the appropriate rate and I've added an advanced variable called tax_rate.

Nothing works.  How do I charge using a paypal button VAT please?

Login to Me Too

SCL_LTD
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Demsley

I know how you feel, this 'adding VAT' issue drove me mad.

I did manage to fix it as per my previous post, (Adding 'tax_rate=20' in the button code under: "Add advanced variables') - but it looks as if you've already done that.

I don't know if it will help but I made sure that I regenerated all my button codes (rather than append therm), and replaced all the instances on my pages.

In addtion I did NOT include a hidden tax field in my forms, it seems it's no longer necessary (at least for simple payment 'buttons').

Not sure if that's any help old chap - I'm not sure how you're implementing things on your site of course.

If no joy, try to badger the guy that ended up helping me with this in the thread. His usr name was: 'PP_MTS_Michael'

Paypal definitely need to improve their documentation for these things.

All best

Al

Login to Me Too

Antti
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have eCommerce site where the product prices includes UK VAT 20%. When the user checks out from my eCommerce site the VAT is still displayed at the Paypal summery page. But when the user logs in to Paypal, the VAT is removed. This has been working for many years so that the VAT stays in the price but now suddenly all customers are charged without VAT and the order state is staying pending in my eCommerce site. What is happening? Why this stopped working on my sites and what should I do to be able to charge the VAT from the customers? 

Login to Me Too

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Antti,

There can be various reasons for this behaviour. From my experience it's outdated cart module, especially as I haven't heard any issues on our side matching this behaviour. However, it would be a good idea to have a look at your shop and transactions, we may be able to help or at least point in the right direction. Can you file a ticket through paypal.com/mts ?

Please quote the last transaction that worked correctly, the site URL, what shopping cart and PayPal module you are using.

I see two separate problems: order management, where your database isn't updated and VAT not being added. Did both problems start simultaneously? Does it happen currently for all transactions or some go through correctly?

Michael

Login to Me Too

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Antti,

After some tests we have located an issue with tax_cart variable, where tax disappears after login. We are working on fixing it.

Login to Me Too

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Antti,

The fix is now verified on live. Tax will be displaying correctly.

Login to Me Too

Antti
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank you for fixing this issue. It is strange that it worked for many years, and suddenly without any change stopped working. 

I am using Drupal 7 and Ubercart latest version with my eCommerce sites. 

Because of this issue, I had to add the sales taxes for different countries in the "my selling tools" and  "Set up sales taxes for multiple regions."  

Can I now remove these, will the VAT (which is defined in my eCommerce) stay after the user logs into Paypal like it used to?

Login to Me Too

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Yes. It should now work as it used to.

Login to Me Too

Michealafinch
New Community Member

Its still not working for me. 
I've added the domestic VAT within my profile but VAT isn't being applied to any of my products. 

Do I need to do anything other than just add VAT in the profile of my PayPal account?

Please tell me what I need to do I'm losing money on sales!

Thanks

Login to Me Too

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@Michealafinch

Have you tested with domestic shipping addresses? Profile tax won't show until PayPal knows where the item is being sent to.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.