Taking telephone payments using paypal here

supertaf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, does anyone know if you can take telephone payments (cardholder not present) using the new Paypal here? It would be very useful to me if I could as some buyers on my websites want to pay by card rather than paypal but clearly are not with me at the time. Thanks Mark

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_lucy

Hey there supertaf,

Welcome to the community.

The new PayPal Here is chip and pin and the card holder would need to be with your at the time.

If you wish to take payment over the phone you would need to apply for PayPal payments pro.

This is a feature available to business account holders, you can read more about it here if you like. There is however a £20.00per month fee on this.

Do have read though at the features offered with this service. Let us know how you get on.  

Login to Me Too

supertaf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lucy, I just wondered as it can take chip and sig via the mag strip reader whether it could also do CNP sales. Thanks for the advice,

Best wishes, Mark

Login to Me Too

bigknd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Sorry Lucy you are not quite correct here, you can indeed take payments using paypal here when the card owner is not present, however due to the higher risk of fraud paypal charge a higher transaction fee, this is taken from paypal's own blog

"The PayPal Chip and PIN card reader is subject to a one-off payment of £99 (including VAT and free delivery) and then a 2.75% transaction fee for every payment you accept with Chip and PIN cards and/or PayPal Check in.  A transaction fee of 3.40% plus 20 pence is charged for card payments made by swiping the magnetic stripe or manually keying in the card details.  These fees are domestic transactions only, additional charges apply for cross border transactions".

To take a payment over the phone enter the amount on your mobile using the paypal here app then tap on "card number" on mobile screen you then enter the customers card number, exp date, 3 digit cvv number and there postcode, once authorized you can then send them a receipt via email or mobile phone.

bigknd

Login to Me Too

BlackBerryLane
Contributor
Contributor

This question was raised last year and Lucy (Moderator) said that you cannot take telephone payments with PayPal Here.  However, bigknd said that you can - and there the posts seem to stop!

As Lucy is a moderator (and therefore should know!), was her word 'final' in the sense that it was 100% correct?

Clarification from someone who has actually used PayPal Here for taking phone payments would be useful.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

BlackBerryLane
Contributor
Contributor

I know I am replying to my own query but, having found the definitive answer, it seems sensible to post it!

I got a very speedy response from Customer Service today, as follows

". . . I can confirm that with the PayPal Here Card Reader application, you can take card payments over the phone without the customer present.

This is done via the application on your mobile phone. once you tap Charge on the application on your mobile, there is a Card option at the bottom.

Tap Card and it would ask for the credit or debit card details. However, payments over the phone are charged at a rate of 3.4% plus 20 pence per transaction as opposed to 2.75% using the card reader.  "

So, bigknd is right and Lucy missed out!

I have asked them to make it clearer on the website, too.

Even if you ONLY want to take card payments over the phone, this is a cheaper option than paying a monthly subscription as Lucy suggested.  Seems like you MIGHT even be able to do it without buying the PayPal Here device - in which case, even cheaper - free, in fact!

Login to Me Too

bigknd
Contributor
Contributor

:Hi Blackberry lane,

Yes I've been using the reader now for taking payments over the phone for quite a whille works fine and saves £20 a Month as you don't need the virtual terminal :smileyhappy

Just remember though that as with virtual terminal you have no seller protection on the payment received.

Bigknd

Login to Me Too

QwilteeBing
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, you can take payments over the phone with the PayPal Here app, BUT, it is not advisable.

You open yourself up to a lot of fraudulent transactions, in particular (Chargebacks) that are harder to fight than if you take a Chip&Pin payment.

Furthermore, you CANNOT accept payments over the phone with Payments Pro..... this is an online payment solution for websites.

If you want to take payments over the phone with PayPal, you will need a product called Virtual Terminal, which is different to Pro and PayPal Here.

Login to Me Too

Proofreader
New Community Member

have a look at worldpay zinc.  This allows payments over the phone that are processed via worldpay for a fixed % fee.  No monthly charge

Login to Me Too

Dinnages
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like this thread stopped being active quite a while ago, but here goes.

My needs are different.

We sell online and have done so since 2000, using originally set paypal buttons but for most of the time by an online integreated store o0nce that was set up.

However what we want to do is produce a catalogue that has like many others, a space on the inside back cover so users can send a cheque or give us the details for a card sale fopr thier manual order.

This could be entered as a cardholder not present similar to a phone sale and as such we would have far more evidence of the transaction requested should a chargeback occur.

Now this PayPal Here option sounds like it could do this, as we gave up our merchant sericve years ago once our roll over machine was deemed unacceptable, and was asked to pay £20 a month for a fixed line machine which is no good for outside events. Certainly 99% of sales are cash and usually up to £50 on our stall, and no regular monthy sales would generate enough to pay the £20pm fee, so we would be at a loss.

So can anyone seriously say we could sell via a printed catalogue with the irratic sales that could generate without having to resort to a fixed monthly fee from anyone, PayPal or a bank again.

Await any thoughts now that Payal here is promoting the device at £59.95 & had tried the Zettle gadget but customers would not trust it being plugged into my mobile phone!

Dealer in transport books, badges, greeting cards and more
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.