Selling my car and worried about a scam

David1988
Contributor
Contributor
Have a woman wanting to buy my car but saying can only pay using PayPal. Saying she will buy it without seeing it. I'm not sure if this is a scam or not. Surely if she puts the cash in then I'm good no? Please someone help as it's a fair bit of money.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@David1988

READ ALL OF THIS FIRST SO YOU ARE AWARE OF THIS SCAM   >>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and don't want to view the car or quibble on price.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that they are going to get it picked up by a courier but then you get a FAKE paypal message saying that the buyer has paid you extra and you must pay the courier first via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the car, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

David1988
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you! Had a feeling it was dodgy
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@David1988

Your welcome, glad i decided to log on and saw it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.