Scammed by buyer on Depop - said I don't offer refunds

pc379
Contributor
Contributor
Someone bought a camera off me over a month ago through Depop. It was brand new and completely unused and I packaged it well to avoid it getting broken in the post - the buyer said she received it. She then messaged me the other day saying it was a broken product. For starters I know this isn't true because I'd never used it! And then she said I need to give her a refund. I said on my profile I don't offer refunds and am not responsible for items once posted Now she's a opened a dispute and PayPal have frozen my account - even if I wanted to give her a refund I couldn't because I don't have any money in my account! Does anyone know what to do? Will PayPal still be able to take money from me even though I stated I don't offer refunds?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pc379

Firstly stating no refunds is only for buyer remorse, if a buyer receives a damaged item then paypals refund process over-rules yours.

Secondly in the event of an item received but not as described dispute its one persons word against anothers so paypal ''tend'' to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you first before you have to refund.

Lastly you may have packaged it very well but that does not mean that it could still not be damaged in transit.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pc379
Contributor
Contributor
Isn't that an easy way for scammers to make money though - I know the item was completely untouched and In working condition when I sent it. On the Depop website it says sellers don't need to offer refunds if they don't think it's appopriate? Does PayPal overrule Depop? I don't believe that the buyer didn't break the product in the 6 weeks she has had it before she messaged me, and I would lose a lot of money even if she sent it back. Thank you for your reply!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pc379

On the Depop website it says sellers don't need to offer refunds if they don't think it's appopriate?

And you don't if the buyer just changes their minds.

Does PayPal overrule Depop?

They are 2 separate companies but you used paypal to accept payment and agreed to abide by their rules when you agreed to their user agreement when you opened an account.

I don't believe that the buyer didn't break the product in the 6 weeks she has had it before she messaged me, and I would lose a lot of money even if she sent it back.

You may well be right, its just one of the risks of being a seller unfortunately. But sometimes when a buyer realises that they have to return the item at their own expense they sometimes change their mind.

AND I did say paypal ''tend'' to find in favour of the buyer,.............its not a given, so you may be lucky.

Unfortunately there are scammers out there.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pc379
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, I'll contact the buyer and PayPal and see what they say. Thank you for your help, that's cleared up a lot of things!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.