Item Damaged In Transit - Buyer Arranged Courier

rock2011
New Community Member
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help! We sold an item through PayPal and it arrived damaged - the courier has obviously broken it. It was the buyer who arranged the courier so in my mind they need to contact the courier to raise a claim and get their money back. The buyer raised a dispute then claim through PayPal and PayPal have immediately ruled in their favour, advising that a full refund will be issued once the item is returned. This leaves us in a situation where we will end up with a broken item back and no money. Surely PayPal should be asking the buyer to raise a claim with the courier and take things from here!? If for example the courier says that the item was not insured for the full value then surely that is the buyers fault for not arranging postage which included insurance to cover the full value of the item? Any advise on this is greatly appreciated. Ive emailed PayPal to raise a complaint but their latest response says that we as the buyer need to send the item back to get a full refund - they obviously haven't read any of my email as we are the seller! Many thanks, David
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rock2011

If you want seller protection then you never let the buyer arrange the courier. The onus is on the seller to get the item to the buyer in condition bought or refund. Paypals 'system' does not appear to cover your situation.

HOWEVER if you have to refund there is nothing to stop you taking the buyer to the small claims court and fighting for the case to be found in your favour as the buyer to claim from the courier.

BUT its difficult as presumably you were the one that 'packaged' the item for the courier so the courier could say it was damaged due to being badly packaged ??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.