Invoice Refund?

sapsap51
Contributor
Contributor
I sold several items to a customer via Reddit's r/makeupexchange 11 days ago, and she paid me via PayPal in which I sent her an invoice for the items. The website allows sellers 14 days to provide a tracking number to their customers. I thought that I would be able to ship out the items to my customer the next day and I notified her of this. However, I was unable to ship it out at this time. Yesterday she asked me for a tracking number and I replied that I would be sending it out the following day but would refund her if she was at all uncomfortable due to my not having shipped it out as quickly as I originally thought I would. However, it took her over four hours to respond to my message and I had shipped out her package already when I saw the notification that she wanted a refund. I have provided her with the postal service tracking number, but she still states that she wants a refund and will not send back my items until a refund is sent. Frankly I am not interested in providing a refund to her, and would like to know if PayPal will legally require me to do so. Each customer on this forum is aware that sellers have up to 14 days to ship the merchandise, otherwise they are banned. I fulfilled my part of the bargain in this way. Providing that the merchandise a)is delivered to her and b) is not damaged, am I required to refund her this money? I feel that simply getting "cold feet" and being impatient is not enough justification to demand a refund when damaged or unreceived goods are not the issue at hand. Any help would be much appreciated!
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sapsap51

Well personally I would not refund if you posted the item within the time frame allowed.

And she CANNOT demand a refund unless she returns the items back to you.

She has the option to file a dispute on paypal for 'item not received' which she would lose if you could provide a tracking number that shows delivery of the item to her.

OR she can file 'item received but not as described' and as paypal can never see the item they tend to side with the buyer BUT if they do she has to send the item back to you 'trackable' to prove delivery and at her own expense before you have to refund.

So personally I would 'sit it out' and leave the ball in her court.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sapsap51
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the help and advice! I have correspondence from her which very clearly states that she wanted a refund before she even received the package. If she was to file a dispute claiming that the items received were not what was advertised or defective in some way, would PayPal not take that correspondence into account when making a decision? It seems awfully convenient that a person who wanted a refund before receiving the items would then suddenly claim they are defective to get their money back.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sapsap51

Sorry but there is no way I can know how paypal makes their decisions. They are often unpredictable and surprising Smiley Frustrated

I do know that they 'tend' to find for the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you first before you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.