Has IPN been deprecated/discontinued?

u_brain
Contributor
Contributor

In the new site layout, there's no longer any access to IPN settings or history. I thought is was just an oversight and would be added later but no, nothing has been done.

Now, I'm getting more and more IPN's not turning up at the destination.

Having found a direct link to IPN history (thanks Stack overflow!) these transactions exist but there's no IPN history entries for them. 

Looks like it's a discontinued service but you'd think payPal would have had the decency to announce it first, no?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Sophie

Hi u_brain,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum and sorry to hear about this.

I have looked into this for you and can confirm that the IPN service has not been discontinued. You should still see this option if you log into your account and click on the 'Profile' option on the top right hand side. On the next page, you will see the 'Profile and Settings' option. All you need to do is click on 'My selling tools', then choose the 'Instant payment notifications' option on the next page.

If you have any difficulty with following these steps, please let me know

Sophie

Login to Me Too

ChrisLancs
New Community Member

Hi, New to the board but have a background in website hosting and ipn from various providers.

Firstly you want to check your settings in your paypal account are correct the ipn url specifically.

I assume you have an api key and use that on your website. Go to your website settings and verify that they match.

Assuming all is correct and no changes need to be made before this point you are going to have to do some digging here are some tips.

look in your server logs, firstly check access logs should see logs for the callback from PayPal in there easily identifyable. check error logs for any errors from the script and fix any errors found. (No access logs points to a firewall port needing opening the firewall log should help to identify that by telling you it denied PayPal callback)

if you see no access log entries (recent) or errors from the script you will need to look into how your website runs its backend, its common for shopping carts to use curl for a lot of the backend/api work which needs specific ports open in the firewall both inbound and outbound ports (these carts also usually have good logging with error codes to help identify the problem). this can be a big problem especially if your server is upated and the firewall config file is reset to default. Fix that issue, open ports for curl.

I hope you get your problem sorted soon. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.