Donate Button Vs Subscription

GavinP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum. I posted in the subscriptions forum but didn't get any "taker's"

I own a website where we generate revenue from advertisments,

Over the years very kind people have asked whether they could donate money to help fund the website. I've never been keen on adding a "donate button" to my website as I always thought it looked kind of desperate, lol!  But I have recently been thinking of adding a donate button to our home page/comments page, just to give people the option of donating some money to the website if they'd like.

I was just looking at the "buttons" page: https://www.paypal.com/bm/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=0OchODGwa1NY28vh1hkYgREmUFL7QqHoJhZVgfu87...

And I notice it says this: "Note: This button is intended for fundraising purposes. If you are not raising funds for a cause, please choose another button option. Nonprofits must verify their status to withdraw donations they receive."

As we're not a charity and earn revenue from advertisments would a donate button not be suitable for our website? Obviously if our loyal visitors did decide they wanted to donate some money to us, it would defeat the purpose if we couldn't withdraw the money they donated because we're not a registered charity.

Would a subscription button be more suitable for this situation? From my perspective a "subscription" button wouldn't really work either as "subscription" implies people MUST pay for access to our websites videos and written posts, which isn't the case at all - Any "donation" people would like to give us would be entirely voluntary so not sure which button works in this situation?

Any suggestions/advice would be awesome

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi GavinP,

Thanks for posting.

You can use a donate button to collect money for your website. This warning is in place as if you mark an account as a charity we will require documents for verification but as long as your account is set up as a normal business or premier account it should be fine. You will find more information on this here https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/donate_step_1/?... .

I hope this helps.

Rachael

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi GavinP,

Thanks for posting.

You can use a donate button to collect money for your website. This warning is in place as if you mark an account as a charity we will require documents for verification but as long as your account is set up as a normal business or premier account it should be fine. You will find more information on this here https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/donate_step_1/?... .

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

GavinP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Racheal,

Thanks very much for the confirmation. That's great. 😄

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.