Buyer has a wrong address and wants me to reship

AndrewTG9
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer buys an item from me but does not have correct shipping address on his paypal account. 

I learn of this through the tracking info (which i have put into the Paypal Invoice) and it gets returned to sender.

For some reason, the USPS tracking says that There was a problem with my address, and that I couldn't receive the package either 

But the thing is, I already have the package at home!

So then I ask him about it, and he offers me 7.25 dollars so that I can reship to him at the right address. 

What should I do to avoid scam?

should I 

1: Just take the 7.25 and ship it to his desired address,

2: Tell him to change his paypal address, and i'll send another invoice for shipping. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @AndrewTG9,

Thank you for your question. I'll be happy to weigh in with some additional perspective.

What @kernowlass suggested is the best course of action I can also suggest, but it's up to you to decide how you want to proceed. Here's some additional background on what should be considered.

If you make a new invoice with only the cost of shipping, the seller protection for that transaction would apply only to that new amount. There is also seller protection for the first transaction, but the tracking you supplied for the old transaction would show that the item was returned to you, which would mean that it wasn't delivered to the buyer. This would severely muddy the waters where Seller Protection is concerned, since delivery to the buyer must be proven in order to be eligible. While you can always appeal any disputes opened by providing the second tracking number, the fact that there's a second transaction involved could lead one to believe that the subsequent tracking number belongs only to the second transaction.

In order to ensure that the question of what tracking belongs with what transaction is not left to interpretation, it's best to refund the original payment and request repayment for the full amount in a different transaction. There is the small chance that the buyer will not repay you and you will suffer a loss for the original shipping amount. You should definitely weigh that risk against the risk of loss in a potential dispute where the tracking shows that the item is returned to you, and make your decision based on your preference.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndrewTG9

3. Refund him, tell him to update his address and when he has done then send him another invoice to pay again?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AndrewTG9
Contributor
Contributor
Is it necessary to do the refund? Im in the situation where I just want to sell it off because the item might depreciate Also would you know why USPS tracking isnt correct?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndrewTG9

Up to you but you would have no paypal seller protection if you shipped to an address that was NOT the buyers paypal registered address at the time of payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AndrewTG9
Contributor
Contributor
Am I covered by seller protection if I make a new invoice for him just for the cost of shipping?
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @AndrewTG9,

Thank you for your question. I'll be happy to weigh in with some additional perspective.

What @kernowlass suggested is the best course of action I can also suggest, but it's up to you to decide how you want to proceed. Here's some additional background on what should be considered.

If you make a new invoice with only the cost of shipping, the seller protection for that transaction would apply only to that new amount. There is also seller protection for the first transaction, but the tracking you supplied for the old transaction would show that the item was returned to you, which would mean that it wasn't delivered to the buyer. This would severely muddy the waters where Seller Protection is concerned, since delivery to the buyer must be proven in order to be eligible. While you can always appeal any disputes opened by providing the second tracking number, the fact that there's a second transaction involved could lead one to believe that the subsequent tracking number belongs only to the second transaction.

In order to ensure that the question of what tracking belongs with what transaction is not left to interpretation, it's best to refund the original payment and request repayment for the full amount in a different transaction. There is the small chance that the buyer will not repay you and you will suffer a loss for the original shipping amount. You should definitely weigh that risk against the risk of loss in a potential dispute where the tracking shows that the item is returned to you, and make your decision based on your preference.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.