strange message

demonik11
New Community Member

I recieved a message from a buyer wanting to buy an item I have listed and end the item early but has offered way more than my asking price, stating that he wants to send it abroad and he can only pay through goods and services. he is asking for my paypal name/ e-mail and item number and that I have to send a money request direct to his box ? never had a message like this before, is it real ?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@demonik11

Scammers use hijacked Ebay usernames and accounts but can't get paypal accounts so this is how it will go  >>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal direct and offer way more than the item costs but will tell you they want it sent abroad to Africa (Nigeria normally).

They can't scam you by using Ebay checkout so they ask you to send them an invoice or money request and you will then get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.