first sale

debrajane
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I sold something on Friday night and the buyer is collecting it in person this Friday(a week). I see that the money is pending in my paypal account, thank you. But I've no idea what I do on Friday when he's picked it up! Get a receipt? Inform ebay? I'm new to selling anything thanks
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should never accept paypal for items that are to be collected.

That is why its the only time that ebay allow you to state "cash on collection only" for those types of items.

You have NO seller protection on paypal if the item is collected and if your buyer files non receipt of item he would probably win and you would have to refund them.

Your best bet is to refund him MAKING SURE that you select the refund option and ask him to pay cash on collect. Make sure your buyer is happy to do this first before you issue the refund.

Heres some info on pending status >>

New seller hold.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/security/ebay-payments-learn-more

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should never accept paypal for items that are to be collected.

That is why its the only time that ebay allow you to state "cash on collection only" for those types of items.

You have NO seller protection on paypal if the item is collected and if your buyer files non receipt of item he would probably win and you would have to refund them.

Your best bet is to refund him MAKING SURE that you select the refund option and ask him to pay cash on collect. Make sure your buyer is happy to do this first before you issue the refund.

Heres some info on pending status >>

New seller hold.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/security/ebay-payments-learn-more

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debrajane
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much. I'll text him now.
Login to Me Too

Lochsong
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same scenario but received an email telling me the payment was pending but I might get my money quicker if I marked the item as despatched!!! It had already been collected, nobody has ever told me not to use paypal for items being collected. It always comes up as the first option on ebay and I have just tried to untick it on all my remaining items and the ticks won't budge.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can't untick the paypal option BUT you can put in your item description in big red letters cash on collection only AND you can list the item as a collection only item.

Then if the buyer still pays with paypal you just refund them and re-state cash only.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debrajane
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for replying. That's what I did in the end. Refunded paypal and the buyer picked it up and paid cash.:)
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

And the added bonus is no paypal fee !!!     Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Lochsong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll know in future 🙂

Meanwhile I haven't been paid and the item has gone but the buyer sent the money 2 weeks ago.

@kernowlass wrote:

You can't untick the paypal option BUT you can put in your item description in big red letters cash on collection only AND you can list the item as a collection only item.

Then if the buyer still pays with paypal you just refund them and re-state cash only.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.