eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Stormy_Weather
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a production camera package on ebay, well technically i havent mailed it out yet because i started to get suspicious... guy said he lived in london but wanted the camera to be sent to nigeria for his sons bday. Said he added 150 bucks for shipping. I got a confirmation email from paypal saying my 6,400 bucks was in an escrow account and that once i sent them the tracking number i would have my money. I am so **bleep** off right now but thankfully i didnt send the packages. How did i get the emailfrom paypal if its a scam? I am so confused....

Login to Me Too

Lisa16
Contributor
Contributor

Its just a mock up email. If you read over it properly the English tends to be poorly written in places. Report it to ebay and send them the email and then email the person directly telling them you know it is a scam and are reporting them to ebay. Did the trick for me to get the fraudster off my back.

Login to Me Too

lilxcs
2019!!!! I don’t know if anybody will ever see this but I came across this article when i googled the location of the spam paypal email i received. i was trying to sell my laptop on let go, the person was rude, asked for my address, asked for pictures of me etc etc DONT SEND ANYTHING TO NIGERIA! report to spoof@paypal.com if you are unsure how legit it is!!!
Login to Me Too

Edytamm
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all, The same story. Yesterday a guy paid for my laptop and now he is asking to send it to Nigeria but I found this post I knew something was not right. To who I should report it now? Can you please provide email address? Thank you
Login to Me Too

Glenny35
Hey there I am in exactly the same situation, I have sold my I phone via eBay and at the start it was an address in London then the woman informed me she was away on business and had to send it to her uncle in Nigeria, I have received numerous emails from the customer and also emails from PayPal stating they are holding the payment for me, I am glad I read this before I was about to ship the item to them.
Login to Me Too

GFiNN79
New Community Member

The reason you get the fake emails from paypal and ebay are because they get you to contact them VIA your personal email. They will say things like can you send me more pictures of the item which you would do through your own email address. Look out for simaler scams for a few of the African countries.

Hope this helps........

Login to Me Too

Andy007
New Community Member

Same case with me:

DONT DO ANY BUSINESS ANYTHING WITH NIGERIA

Some wanted to buy my smart phone

Ship to 22 First Ave

Festac

Lagos, Nigeria 23401

Called Paypal

Got a confirmation FAKE email

BEWARE..............:(

Login to Me Too

collinsimon
Contributor
Contributor

do not call nigerian idiots,when u point a fingerr at someone,the remaining 4 fingers face u,am a nigerian,and i know in all countries will have the bad sets of people making their country look bad,that doesnt mean u should insult us,i do get scam fraud messages composed by americans,and uk citizens to be precise,but that doesnt mean i should create a topic about them and start saying all crap,at first i actually understood and felt the pain of the previous users posting,but i really dont get the essencee of yours,please try and be watchful with your words,because every single one counts

Login to Me Too

Janethornton_
New Community Member

I've just had the same problem.
I was selling a wedding dress on ebay and was over the moon when it sold for £230, however, I then got an email from ebay telling me that a 3rd party was using the buyers ebay account. They then sent another telling me that the buyer had purchased the dress before the 'hackers' had gained access to the account.
I then got an email from the 'buyer' who told me that his daughter had used his account somewhere else and that him and ebay had sorted it.
So when I got an email from 'paypal' telling me he had sent £330, I almost fainted. He told me that he had bought this dress for a friend that had been sent out there to be missionary, (obviously trying to make me think these are trust worthy people.)  
I thought this was all legit until I googled how much it would be to send an parcel to Nigeria when I saw this post. I read through this and a few others and they all described exactly what was happening so lucky I haven't lost any money.
I sent him a very strongly worded letter telling him exactly what i thought of people like him who do this and I've reported him on ebay.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Best not to reply to them at all or they can mess with your email account signing you up to lots of horrible websites.

Also as they have hacked the ebay account pointless reporting them really.

People in Nigeria cannot own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.