eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Olliebt
I had excatly the same thing happen, I was pretty impressed with how well the fake emails were... Until they sent me an email saying legal action will be taken, and they sent photos of people in handcuffs saying that they never sent the parcel to nigeria😂 And also apparently that was from the "CEO of PayPal"😂
Login to Me Too

davina666
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

THIS HAS JUST HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!

I sell on ebay all the time and never thought to look into teh fact that i was shipping to Nigeria. I sent teh item, advised the tracking number and they have since asked me to send money to clear teh item through customes. I have stupidly done this as the seller was depositing the oney into my paypal acc, which was meant to be released when all this went through!!!!!!!!! im devistated.  i think i have just been scammed. 

I took out insurance when sending the item, so hopefully australia post can cover the cost of the item. 

PLEASE HELP!!!!

What can i do to get my money back?!?!?!??!!?!?!

any tips welcomed. 

Login to Me Too

a-p
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry to hear that! 😞 How did they ask you to send the money? Was it by post through MoneyGram? I was asked to do the same but luckily realised this was all a scam just before I did it. If you have only just posted your item, you can try to email the Nigerian postal service to explain the situation and ask them to return the item to the UK. I did the same after I posted my phone - I wasn't actually expecting to get a response but just thought I'd try it anyway- and they actually emailed me back and have now returned the item back to the UK. It's a bit of a long process to get it back because I hadn't included a return address on the parcel so I had to fill out a claim form saying that my item is lost and just yesterday received a letter from the Royal Mail confirming that they have located my parcel and will send it back to me within 4 weeks. It's a worth a shot! You can check the Nigerian Postal Service website for contact details. Obviously you should also report the buyer to eBay and PayPal too.
Login to Me Too

Mikaminea
Contributor
Contributor
Hello I've emailed the Nigerian post office with no success. I've been through the same situation in February. What contact details have you got for the Nigerian post please? It's worth trying again. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

SolitaryMando

Same thing just happened to me yesterday, luckily I found out before I posted it off.

Avoid the following Ebayeras they are teh ones that tried to scam me.

Ebay username: gerhard-franz54

I urge everyone selling on Ebay to keep a close eye on who you are selling to and follow the advice given by others on this subjet.

Login to Me Too

emcampbell001
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
they closed the case for me and i never got ANY money
Login to Me Too

mp92

Same thing happened to me.

Posted a phone on Craigslist and a buyer immediately contacted me saying he was interested and that I needed to ship the phone to his fiance.

Come to find out his fiance is in Nigeria and hes away on a business trip.

He offers to pay for the phone and $80 for shipping.

I call and speak with him and still almost got scammed.

Ends up he asks me to use paypal so he can send me the money. Asks me to send an invoice.

I send the invoice. I expect a response through my Paypal account online, but he says to check my SPAM or JUNK folder. Not sure how I still believed him at this point but apparently I have too much trust in humanity.

I find said email in my junk folder just as he said, describing that the money will be released to me once I send the tracking number.

I tell him I don't see anything yet on Paypal but that I got the email and will talk to him when I can ship it, which luckily isn't for a few days after I've received my new phone in the mail!! Geez. Anyways. Never shipped it. Blocked him. 

Login to Me Too

rmjjr2007
New Community Member

me too, i sold my dslr camera two days ago received emails fom paypal and ebay telling me to post the item coz the buyer paid me 50 pounds over my selling price. telling me to post to Nigeria as a gift, and paypal is holding the payment until a tracking number is provided. even the buyersent me emails that i have to post it quick. I contacted ebay and told me not to post the item until th money is cleared. They are scammers! be careful

Login to Me Too

arcadya666
New Community Member

I`ve just been scammed for about £500 today on this way and unfortunatelly i`ve found this post too late. Someone from UK bought my laptop for the price that i was asking for ... had  some discussion with her by email, told me that now she`s in Spain and bought the laptop for her son that he lives in Nigeria and is his birthday and bla bla and she paid already by paypall £470 for laptop + delivery. I got a bit suspicious because i keept asking her about the payment and always said that did it already and try to check even my spam maybe the confirmation got there somehow and she got a bit concerned because of this and gona report me to ebay. Second day i`ve started to receive emails from ebay like that user reported me that i didnt dispatched an item that was paid for and my account its gona get suspended if i`m not going to deliver the item in next 24 hours and got from paypal as well like this one: email from service@uknowwho but if u try to reply u`ll find out that the real email is something else (unfortunatelly i`ve noticed that too late, my packet was already picked up from the post office by a Parcel Force Agent)...

Dear X,

From PayPal confirmation department, we inform you again that the payment sent from Abigail John's account has not yet reflected in your account due to our terms and policy to confirm shipping from you before your account can be credited. This condition is only in use for eBay International purchase, if you receive this email on direct payment option please do contact our management.

------------------------------ -----------
Details of  Transaction
------------------------------ -----------
Transaction ID: C826-L003-Q999-T5365
Case #: PP-091-962-521
 ----------------------------- ------
What to Do Next
------------------------------ -----
You are to send the shipping tracking number to us for verification, so as to secure Buyers purchase as well as you. The funds has been deducted from Abigail John account and shall be credited into your PayPal account immediately after the shipment is confirmed by our management as eBay/PayPal terms to verify International shipping before account crediting due to fraudulent sellers who do not post out item after their accounts have been credited.

======================================================

It was too much pressure on me and its the first time when i`m selling something on ebay and i did this mistake without realizing what am i doing. I`ve tried to cancel this delivery calling back to Parcel Force, forgetting about  geting refunded back, just to stop this but they said to me that cant do anything about because if they cancel it its criminal offence, i`m gonna lose my money on delivery service because they`ll deliver it anyway and i should do a complaint to my local police office, maybe they will start to investigate and try to catch up the one who did this fraud. I thank them for helping me with nothing, for paid them £100 for that delivery and all they can say is "I am sorry but we cant help you" so now i just hope that Ebay or Paypal might help me to cancel Parcel Force delivery providing the evidence that i got.

Anyway, if i will not solve this, i hope the others will see this post before doing what i`ve did and dont gave up no matter how much pressure is on you.

Login to Me Too

Lindilou

I was selling a gold watch for £850.00. She emailed, asked if I would accept any less. I said £800.00.. She got back to me and said she'd give me £900.00 for p&p too????. Thats when I was suspicious. I got the same email as you about the postage and, immediately rang paypal as there was nothing in my account. I wasn't about to part with my watch until I saw the money in it.. Think it's just common sense at the end of the day. If it's too good to be true then it isn't. I'm sorry you were ripped off. It's a lesson for us all. I was very excited and kept checking paypal waiting for that lovely money to appear but, never will. This all happened in the last couple of days. She even helped me how to set up paypal lol.. Only last night Monday.... So, I'll hang onto my watch, for now and just be wary. I was even a little suspicious that she had wanted to buy it having not seen it properly..only pics on gumtree. Anyway, a lesson learned and now we are aware, we won't fall for it again..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.