eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

kphillips005
New Community Member

I received the same scam email yesterday regarding my iPhone 6S for sale on eBay. I knew something was off the moment the "buyer" asked for my "PayPal" email address so that he can make the payment. It wa creepy because I've never run into anything like this after selling on eBay and Amazon for 6 years! My fellow sellers...Please use caution when selling highly sought-after items. This can clearly happen to all of us! Smiley Indifferent

Login to Me Too

LaurVictoria
Ohh yeah!!! Me too and I sent my actual PayPal link. They said they used my email address "PayPal" instead which I never even use plus it actually had my mums name so they would be worried about that... but no mention of it at all. The big thing that showed me it was off was the fact that PayPal apparently knew the item what it was the same listing as eBay??? No looool what a bunch of idiots. I even sent a picture of the camera and said it does not have a charger being nice. Lol wow
Login to Me Too

Scochrane
New Community Member

Hi all, just nearly became another victim to this scam. I've only just started to use eBay store I'm a little worried as it is. But after phoning the Royal Mail the guy on the phone told me not to send anything to Nigeria. I was actually in the post office about to send the item But because of the rules to send things with batteries the woman in the post office told me to phone the Royal Mail to double check the rules and I'm glad I did phone now. I didn't even flinch to the "PayPal" email I got saying I had been paid but I had to give a tracking number before the money was available. I think it's mad these people can do things like is. But just be VERY careful with the addresses and if the "buyer" constantly emails you...that's another warning sign from now on. Don't forget to report anything suspicious to eBay. 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scochrane

3 golden rules  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jrayray73

I just opened up and e bay account to have my first purchase to be a scam! I luckily am smart enough to recognize something wasn't right, and I would never send an item unless 100% payment was received... Now I have to wait to sell my item or just not do it one bay. the person's cell number was xxxx, their e bay account said out of Texas. It looks like this has been going on for years and you would hope e bay could get a handle on it!

Edited to comply with Community guidance

Login to Me Too

Jack152019
New Community Member

Yeah Mate, I've had 3 scammers try to scam me before. All of them saying that they have a 'friend' in Nigeria and that the payment is pending so send the Item now.  If anyone on ebay says that they want you to send the item to a "friend" in Nigeria just block them (and/or report them to ebay) and relist the item.

Login to Me Too

Dugdalee
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I have just had this scam email today. Did you report it to PayPal or just ignore it?
Login to Me Too

Zelex
Contributor
Contributor
I have decided to create a blacklist of scam buyers. Thanks to all those who have taken their time to share their stories and details.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Zelex

Not a good idea, SCAMMERS use hijacked Ebay i.d's and email addresses so you may well be posting an innocent account holders name on a blacklist.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Zelex
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass I am referring to the destination addresses (I meant to comment on the "fraud in Nigeria" thread. I am Nigerian so I'm already seeing some patterns with details listed in thread. Thanks for the info nevertheless.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.