eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your instincts are spot on THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They often use hijacked ebay accounts that make it look as if they are in the UK.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Start the unpaid item process on ebay to get your final value fee credit and relist.

Use your blocked buyer list to reduce scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your instincts are spot on THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They often use hijacked ebay accounts that make it look as if they are in the UK.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Start the unpaid item process on ebay to get your final value fee credit and relist.

Use your blocked buyer list to reduce scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ayososanya
Contributor
Contributor

Its wrong people try these things. This almost happened to me, i was sent a message from someone with 0 feedback asking for my phone at a cheaper price and I automatically said No and received another message saying its needed for as a gift for someone and that she would pay extra for delivery and I ignored her. 

Hopefully you can get your £500 back

Login to Me Too

Mwape1
New Community Member
Just received This Thanks for getting back at me, Ok then, I will pay £1,100 plus £32 for postage via Royal Mail International Signed For: to Lagos, NG For record purpose, Request money invoice for £1,132 from your pay pal account to my email: I'm glad I read the comments I has since asked her not to write to me.
Login to Me Too

ams_art
New Community Member

I'm so glad I read this! Thank you guys for sharing and making others more aware.

I just read this because I'm a "newbie" to eBay and tried selling my Powershot Camera for $220.

I got an instant buyer. First He told me to ship it to his address which was in the United States. So I figured it was promising....

Then I get an emal of him telling me to ship it to NIgeria because it's his "partners birthday"....

-First of all, ebay shipping label wasn't allowing me to change the Country to anything else but UNited States... So that's when I started to think something wasn't right.

I then got a "paypal confirmation" telling me I recieved a payment of $320 but can only get it funded to my account once I send a "tracking number" to the "paypal services"....

After that I was so confused. I have never had such a messy and confusing order to do before. I thought I could figure it out.

So I went on here and read all these solutions and replies and everything fit. It was a scam. And the eBay buyer's email ended with ".uk" even though his address is from United States in New Jersey... So that wasn't making any sense to me.

Don't trust anyone. 

Thank you for the awareness.!

Login to Me Too

Si_James317
Contributor
Contributor
Today I had come to this forum to report i nearly sold a phone on ebay to an address in nigeria its only when i had an email from paypal supposedly stating they need tracking number. 1) Paypal dont compulsively request this and 2) never heard of a paypal in Nigeria Nasty people it was my first time selling as well, im doing the procedure with ebay to get it relisted free of charge... advice if unsure of anything investigate
Login to Me Too

MARIA_2015
New Community Member

Hi Guys,

Am MO,I had an experience with this guys this week.His user name was  lewlew_dk1fwir,He ordered my apple ipad 1 for 150.00 .So he mailed me saying he lives in Uk and his currently on holiday and would like to know if I can ship to West Africa .I replied him saying he should mail me the address and ill confirm the charges .Immediately I got another mail saying well,its a gift for his cousin and she ll like me to post it ASAP that I should mail her my paypal details or send payment details which I did.

I did send her the details and then I got a mail from paypal saying 131.00 pound was credited to my account but its pending till i send the tracking number and other details

So I checked the details on her account and the postal address she sent to me,

PAUL  OKANLAWON
77, ALHAJA STREET,
ABESAN  IPAJA.
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA.

Then she mailed me again saying she has done the payment and stuff and it ll be bad if her nephew didnt get the order.At first she said her cousin then I Nephew and being a Nigeria i felt lets play the game.

So i sent her a tracking number I used to post stuff to my mum the previous day,Immediately,all my items where sold to this people

januk-7aq6zmhpj wants to post to west Africa

evelfran.7gnn27f4

saying they ll pay extra for delivery.

So i sent them a mail in my language cursing the seriously and they all replied using same email and said I should have told them I knew  the game instead of wasting their time,

Beware guys,

This guys aint playing around.

@Si_James317 wrote:
Today I had come to this forum to report i nearly sold a phone on ebay to an address in nigeria its only when i had an email from paypal supposedly stating they need tracking number. 1) Paypal dont compulsively request this and 2) never heard of a paypal in Nigeria Nasty people it was my first time selling as well, im doing the procedure with ebay to get it relisted free of charge... advice if unsure of anything investigate

Login to Me Too

szuriich
Contributor
Contributor

I advice you to report to the appropriate Authority,its happen to a friend of mine and she report to the criminal office in Nigeria and she got back her iPhone few dys later.

Login to Me Too

Hayzwhite0011
Contributor
Contributor
How exactly do you report it to local nogerian authorities please? I have just sent my ps vita in the post being a wolly and falling for what is apparently the oldest trick in the book.
Login to Me Too

szuriich
Contributor
Contributor
Hello dear,you will write to this address in Nigeria,,,,postmaster.ng at yahoo.come. That is the address you will write with full info of your items including the postage receipt.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.