defrauded of £500 and paypal won't act!

robborugbyrobbo
Contributor
Contributor

i have been defrauded of £500 and paypal have turned a blind eye and swept it under the carpet!

i purchased camping tickets for V festival back in march of this year from ebay for the sum of £500, i paid for the tickets via paypal where i have been a customer for over 5 years and thought i was protected against the countless fraudsters that are out there.

a few days after buying the tickets ebay messaged me saying there was a violation with the listing and they advised me not to pay and if i had payed to try and get refunded from the seller; failing that to open a dispute with ebay to settle the matter. after weeks of trying to contact the seller to no avail i opened a dispute expecting ebay to find in my favour, however they could not find in my favour because the tickets were NOT covered under ebay buyer protection because i was seen to be renting the land from chelmsford county council!

ebay then stressed that i would still be covered by paypal and that i should contact them. i contacted paypal and they REFUSED to take any further action because ebay had settled the dispute and as ebay is there sister company in there eyes the matter was closed!

i explaining to paypals call centre staff but all they kept saying was they couldn’t do anything because ebay had dealt with the matter.

i would strongly recommend to stay away from paypal because they lead you to believe you are save from fraudsters where as in reality its a completely different story. due to paypals incompetence i have had to involved my local authority in order to pursue this fraudster.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

robborugbyrobbo
Contributor
Contributor

i have been defrauded of £500 and paypal have turned a blind eye and swept it under the carpet!

i purchased camping tickets for V festival back in march of this year from ebay for the sum of £500, i paid for the tickets via paypal where i have been a customer for over 5 years and thought i was protected against the countless fraudsters that are out there.

a few days after buying the tickets ebay messaged me saying there was a violation with the listing and they advised me not to pay and if i had payed to try and get refunded from the seller; failing that to open a dispute with ebay to settle the matter. after weeks of trying to contact the seller to no avail i opened a dispute expecting ebay to find in my favour, however they could not find in my favour because the tickets were NOT covered under ebay buyer protection because i was seen to be renting the land from chelmsford county council!

ebay then stressed that i would still be covered by paypal and that i should contact them. i contacted paypal and they REFUSED to take any further action because ebay had settled the dispute and as ebay is there sister company in there eyes the matter was closed!

i explaining to paypals call centre staff but all they kept saying was they couldn’t do anything because ebay had dealt with the matter.

i would strongly recommend to stay away from paypal because they lead you to believe you are save from fraudsters where as in reality its a completely different story. due to paypals incompetence i have had to involved my local authority in order to pursue this fraudster.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey there,

Unfortunately you can’t dispute the same transaction with both PayPal and eBay so as you had a dispute with eBay there isn’t anything PayPal can do.

Also these tickets were bought in March so that’s outside the 45 day timeframe and if something isn’t eligible for eBay Buyer Protection then it probably wouldn’t be for PayPal Buyer Protection either as the list of what’s eligible and what’s not is quite similar.

Maybe you could somewhere outside of PayPal for further advice, like Trading Standards.

Login to Me Too

robborugbyrobbo
Contributor
Contributor

it is covered under paypal buyer protection!

in regards to the 45 day limit i have evidence of cases where people have complained after this period and paypal have refunded! i bought the tickets in march for a festival in august how can i place a dispute within 45 days if the tickets weren't due until AUGUST!

i have been left with no optioin but to open a fraud case with the police because of paypals incompetence!

paypal is ment to protect my money not find loop holes and turn a blind eye, paypal is a disgrace!ccccccc

Login to Me Too

robborugbyrobbo
Contributor
Contributor

hi adrian

can you please look into my case??????????????????????????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey again,

The 45 day timeframe cannot be extended for any reason. No matter what the item is or when it is it’s not covered. Our customers are aware of the timeframe and it doesn’t matter when the tickets are for, it's 45 days from the original transaction date.

In relation to the eBay dispute, once a dispute has been filed with them then it can’t be filed with PayPal. You opened a dispute with eBay, they closed it, you need to take it up with eBay as there is nothing PayPal can do.

I know you have lost out on a lot of money, but we have to stick to our policies.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.