cancelling echeques

samstane
New Community Member

hi iv always used paypal no problems but now so near to christmas iv paid for a item on ebay by echeque! i understand my card details may of needed updating but why not give me the option to do that instead of automaticly paying by echeque! im so annoyed and so is the seller! the item is a gift so could of done with it before christmas, the seller suggested paying straight to her so she can post the item but i cant afford to be out of pocket while i wait for this echeque to clear then the seller refuse it, then iv got to wait for to to go back into my bank account, iv never heard of a echeque before?? why can i not just cancel the stupid thing, iv emailed you and had no reply, i only have a mobile phone so im not ringing, from what i can see its mainly a automated service anyway.

unhappy customer

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi samstane,

To make an Instant Bank Transfer you must have a valid debit or credit card registered to your PayPal account, as well as your bank account. If your card had expired, an eCheque is the only funding option available if you don’t have the funds in your PayPal account to cover the transaction.

Once an eCheque has been initated, it is not possible for the sender to cancel it. You seller would have an option to cancel the eCheque through they PayPal account.

Please repost if you need further assistance with your transaction and we can look into your account.

Hope this helps,
Maria

Login to Me Too

Dundrum
New Community Member

Having been messed about by the buyer of an item of clothing, I then received a message that I was being paid by eCheque, which I have never heard of.

This was sent on 21/11/12.  Today it is indicated as pending, expected to be cleared on 28/11/12 and with a fee of over £4.00 taken from the total amount I am due.

There is not explanation for this fee - I can't find any information about what it is for.

I haven't agreed to this eCheque.  Am I being charged for the eCheque - or is it for the eBay selling fee?

The seller has now asked me to cancel the eCheque so she can pay me directly, but I am concerned that I will still have to pay this fee.  I am also concerned that there will be further delay because the money will be held up again by PayPal.  It is not clear whether the eCheque is being processed already, which it seems, determines how it will be refunded.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you are selling items then you should be paying 3.4% + 20p fee per transaction to paypal. This is taken directly from any payment made before the rest is credited to your paypal balance.

Your ebay fee is separate and you will be billed for that separately once per month. 

An echeque is a paypal payment funded from the buyers bank but because they don't have a back up card with paypal registered as well you have to await clearance.

You cannot refuse any type of paypal funded payment if you are selling on ebay.

You cannot refund a buyer an echeque until it has cleared but if you refund and they pay again you will still be charged a fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rareware
New Community Member

I get some of this info but how can i and other sellers cancel echeques on paypal is the question as i pay enough money to paypal and ebay and thats a joke when most of my money is frozen for 21 days and everyone i.e. paypal and ebay get there money we cant please explain

Login to Me Too

ricardostraw
New Community Member

ive sent a payment via echeque of 800 pound for goods not bought from my ebay, is my payment safe or could seller just keep my money and run without sending any goods ?

I hope im just panicking over nothing only ive never sent this amount of money before via this method

echeque is due to clear in 5-7 working days

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.