buyer requesting refund

Kimpo
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a pair of shoes size 4.5 (the size is clearly stated on the sole) and I state on my listings for customers to check the description and all photographs carefully as I do not do returns.  The customer has contacted me for a refund as she says that the shoes are faulty i.e. smaller than another pair of shoes she bought of the same brand but not the same style.  When i said that they were a 4.5 and told her to look on the sole she said that they must have got wet and shrunk?  As a goodwill gesture i told her to  send the shoes back and I would refund her the cost of the shoes.  She wants me to refund her completely but why should I  be out of pocket if I have supplied the right item. The shoes just did not fit her. I have been going backwards and forwards with emails all day and she told me that she had decided to sell them on.  Then I noticed that the payment was pending in paypal so she must have opened a case without letting me know so it is a good job that i checked my paypal account.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kimpo

I would tell her that you don't accept refunds for items that were accurately described or for buyer remorse.

IF and only if she opens a dispute and wins then normally paypal would tell her to return the item at her own expense (trackable to prove delivery) before you have to refund.

However if she opens an ebay dispute if the sale was on ebay then different rules may apply and you would need to ask on the ebay forum.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kimpo
Contributor
Contributor

She wants to send the shoes back and she is willing to pay the postage.She wants me to refund her the original postage.  I have offered to pay half as I have not done anything wrong and dont see why I should be out of pocket

Login to Me Too

Kimpo
Contributor
Contributor

Also I dont understand why she has opened this case with Paypal when the obvious route would have been Ebay resolution centre where they would have been able to see the dialogue of the emails we have been exchanging.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kimpo

OK if she is sending the item back to you at her own expense then you would have to give her a full refund of her original payment.

No you have done nothing wrong but it happens and is just a risk of selling online.

You are bound to get an annoying customer every now and then.

Buyer is allowed to open an ebay or a paypal dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.