Why am I being charged a fee for a buyer making a payment to me?

GingerMeg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, but new to this!

I have a paypal account that I usually use to buy things from. However, I have started selling a few unwanted items of clothing on eBay. I've sold a few things, most for just 99p (then add p&P) but looking at my account today, I see that I'm being charged around 31p when they pay. I take it this is separate from the ebay fees and the paypal fees at the end of the month?

If it is, then it seems odd that I should have to pay for someone making a payment to me. I've been trying to look into this and I think it may have something to do with how they pay- friends and family option or something like that- they choose the option that means they don't have to pay the fee (sorry, its been a while since I bought anything either so I can't remember the exact catergories).

I keep seeing that the seller can set up who pays fees, but cannot find any instruction on how to do so or even if tis is how it works. I don't have much more items to sell, but would really love to know for future reference how this works and if i have my account set up right!!

Any help please? Thank you x

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ebay charge their fees and I get a invoice- that is fine.

Yep

PayPal do NOT send a monthly invoice, these fees that I'm seeing are purely the standard charges that they take for each transaction and not the result of someone pressing an option that means I pay a fee for their transaction?

Correct, the buyer has just completed checkout on ebay normally as they should do.

Could I ask you what a micropayment paypal account is or if you could provide me with a link so i can do some reading up, that would be great

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/micropayments

a link that explains what i keep reading about the seller can determin who pays charges for transaction

Your still a bit confused on this. Sellers ALWAYS pay the fees, it is against paypal rules to ask a buyer to pay a paypal fee. What you have been reading is about the personal > friends / family payment. That is ONLY when you are sending money to a mate or family member using the "gift / personal" option and in that scenario you can select who pays the fee but that is not the buyer or seller but your mate or yourself and ONLY applies if they fund their payment with a card when a fee is incurred, if they use instant bank transfer it is free. BUT you can't use that option to sell items.

What is 'kudos'? Is this a rating we give to say thanks for your help? 

I am just an ebay seller and buyer who helps out here, when you help out a lot you become a volunteer advisor, but I don't get "taught" or  "paid" by paypal. My advice is just my advice and can be wrong or right, however I don't post if I think I may be wrong. You don't have to do anything, you can give kudos or mark the thread "solved" if I have helped you but it is entirely up to you, some just say thanks and others don't do anything.

I just help cus I know a bit about how paypal works (don't always agree with them though).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ebay;

You pay ebay to list your item and a final value fee when you sell it.

Ebay bill you x1 per month to settle up.

Paypal.

You pay paypal to be able to receive instant payments from buyers including debit and credit cards.

Paypal deduct their fee instantly when your buyer pays............they do NOT bill you monthly.

Paypal fee is 3.4% + 20p per transaction.

If you are selling low cost items then ebay / paypal fees often means its not profitable for you, low cost items I sell at the car boot sale !!

Its best to do a search on ebay for the item you are going to list and see what prices they make by clicking on completed auctions. Then after fees deducted see if you will make a profit.

Also start the auction at the "least" you are happy to accept if it sells.

You could also look into opening a "micropayment" paypal account if your items are all low cost.

You can't accept personal payments ie family / friends if you are selling.

Also can I suggest you read up on seller protection in case you start selling more pricey things at a later date.

Good luck. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GingerMeg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass, thanks for your reply. 

Just to make sure I have this right, Ebay charge their fees and I get a invoice- that is fine.

PayPal do NOT send a monthly invoice, these fees that I'm seeing are purely the standard charges that they take for each transaction and not the result of someone pressing an option that means I pay a fee for their transaction? That too is fine. 

Could I ask you what a micropayment paypal account is or if you could provide me with a link so i can do some reading up, that would be great. Also some more information, or again, a link that explains what i keep reading about the seller can determin who pays charges for transaction... This may not even be valid to my basic account, but its always good to know for future reference! 

Thanks again x

Ps- What is 'kudos'? Is this a rating we give to say thanks for your help? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ebay charge their fees and I get a invoice- that is fine.

Yep

PayPal do NOT send a monthly invoice, these fees that I'm seeing are purely the standard charges that they take for each transaction and not the result of someone pressing an option that means I pay a fee for their transaction?

Correct, the buyer has just completed checkout on ebay normally as they should do.

Could I ask you what a micropayment paypal account is or if you could provide me with a link so i can do some reading up, that would be great

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/micropayments

a link that explains what i keep reading about the seller can determin who pays charges for transaction

Your still a bit confused on this. Sellers ALWAYS pay the fees, it is against paypal rules to ask a buyer to pay a paypal fee. What you have been reading is about the personal > friends / family payment. That is ONLY when you are sending money to a mate or family member using the "gift / personal" option and in that scenario you can select who pays the fee but that is not the buyer or seller but your mate or yourself and ONLY applies if they fund their payment with a card when a fee is incurred, if they use instant bank transfer it is free. BUT you can't use that option to sell items.

What is 'kudos'? Is this a rating we give to say thanks for your help? 

I am just an ebay seller and buyer who helps out here, when you help out a lot you become a volunteer advisor, but I don't get "taught" or  "paid" by paypal. My advice is just my advice and can be wrong or right, however I don't post if I think I may be wrong. You don't have to do anything, you can give kudos or mark the thread "solved" if I have helped you but it is entirely up to you, some just say thanks and others don't do anything.

I just help cus I know a bit about how paypal works (don't always agree with them though).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GingerMeg
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you and a kudos sent! x

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.