What are sellers rights if a buyer has an incorrect address in the system and parcels get lost?

Uaretti
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had a case what I never can't believe it's true. Please read that this can't happend to you.

I sold big pile of legos and posted them next day to a buyer.

After couple of days buyer contacted me that she hasn't received the item.

Immeadiately I send a receipts of the proof postage and photos what I had from the parcels with the address I copied exactly how it was in the system.

The buyer responded me that her address has written incomplete. I answered that it is exactly how it is in the system. The buyer notice her mistake and because I wanted to help her with all my best I made a claim to Royal Mail about the lost delivery.

I got an answer after long time from Royal Mail that they don't compensate the lost because the address was incomplete. Also I added only my postcode on the back side of the parcels and Royal Mail wasn't able to return them to me. So the parcels got lost and in the Royal Mail customer service they didn't do anything to try to find the parcels even if I called them several times and sent receipts and photos and all evidence I had.

A buyer wrote me that this has not happened her before, she has received all the parcels normally what she has purchased from Ebay. But this time she opened a new account on Ebay and this was first delivery with the new account.

I haven't lived long time in England so I didn't notice anything wrong with the address. Either a post officer didn't notice anything even if there were two parcels together and they gave me a proof postage receipts.

In the end the buyer did a claim into the Paypal and I tried to do my best to give all the evidence that I really have sent the parcels and this is not my fault because buyer has entered a wrong address. I also called to Paypal customer service and sent a message with all information. This didn't help me and I got a mail that they have decided after long examination that the case goes to the buyers favour. Only what they accepted was a tracking information.

Case is closed and I can't do anything. I feel very sad and disappointed. How this can be even possible? I feel now that it's nothing worth to do a big big work for selling your items on Ebay and get to this kind of situation...

All these parties, please develop your systems so that this can't happend to anybody else! Thank you for reading.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Uaretti

For seller protection you have to send to the PAYPAL and not ebay registered address of the buyer.

If you had put your full address on the back you would have received the item back again.

As the buyer did not get their goods then of course they have to have a refund but you would not have lost out either if you had received the goods back again OR had sent trackable.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Uaretti
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.

I only had my post code so I never will get them back...

I would like to know as a sender what is the minimum amount of your information which should be written in the package?

Also does the tracking what Paypal wanted, but I didn't have, means a signed for delivery?

@kernowlass wrote:

@Uaretti

For seller protection you have to send to the PAYPAL and not ebay registered address of the buyer.

If you had put your full address on the back you would have received the item back again.

As the buyer did not get their goods then of course they have to have a refund but you would not have lost out either if you had received the goods back again OR had sent trackable.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Uaretti

I always put my "surname" /  "house name" /  and postcode on items that i send out and have had x2 returned to me with no problems.

Yes trackable means signed for, i tend to send anything above £30 trackable but under that i just take the risk. Don't forget buyers pay postage costs so just work out how much it would be to send trackable and add that to your auction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Uaretti
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much, I will do this in future!

Hope as many as possible seller will read this advice.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.