Unauthorised Transaction Claims question

Simonslw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have recently sold a mobile phone on ebay, i sent the item and within an hour of me informing the buyer it was sent an unauthorised transaction claim was opened. Luckily i was covered by seller protection and i have since recieved the money from paypal, but also the buyer got their money back.

My question is, considering we have both had our money, who does the item now belong to? Surely it is still me as the buyer hasnt actually paid anything for it and why would he be keeping it if its apparantly an unorthorised transaction?

I just need to know where i stand before i take it further and get the phone blocked. I am by no means being greedy, I have had my money back but i do not see why someone should benefit from a free phone, id rather it destroyed than someone getting it for free.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

An unauthorised transaction normally means that the account holders paypal account has been hijacked and used without their consent, the person that does this can change the address so that the item is sent to them instead.

When the real account holder regains their account they of course deserve their money back BUT you should be recompensed as well via seller protection.........which you were.

So yes the scammer has the phone and i would think there would be no problem with you blocking it if you can and he has not already changed the ownership of it with his service provider.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Simonslw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, the only thing im not sure about is that the phone went to the address registered with the buyer, so if this is genuinely an unauthorised transaction, why would they be keeping it in the first place. Plus if they have recieved the item in this way where they havent actually paid anything themselves, surely the item still legally belongs to me? Its just extremely suspicious how they opened a case nearly instantly as soon as i confirmed shipment.

As i said the only reason im asking this is because i dont see why someone should benefit from a free mobile phone.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.