Selling questions - want to get it right

pickledonion
Contributor
Contributor

I've sold a few small things on ebay before but now want to advertise something for a bit more money, and would like to be not left out of pocket!  

I've read through the FAQs, forums, etc about Paypal Seller Protecton and ebay Moneyback Guarantee, and have a few questions:

1. Re PSP - when would a transaction only be 'partially eligible' for PSP? (and therefore not protected in relation to unauthorised payments)
  2. Can I specify 'cash only on collection'? (it seems this is a no, but I'm double checking)
  3. Can I specify 'no returns', UK buyer only and a minimum number of positive ratings?
  4. PSP states that items need to be dispatched within 7 days of receiving payment - does this mean once it shows in my paypal account, or once I can draw it from my paypal account? (realise they could still try to 'chargeback' for 6 months after this...)
  5. Does the buyer's address need to be a 'confirmed' Paypal address? And do paypal and enbay addresses need to match? (no idea if I would have acces to this info, asking in case I do)
  6. What about email addresses for the buyer - does ebay and paypal address need to match?
  7. Do I have to offer a returns policy - ie can it be "no returns"?

Have read so much over the weekend about sellers losing their money AND goods....Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi pickledonion

1. Unauthorised payments if proven are reversed there is no protection for this

2. Yes u can specify collection only on your ebay listings, make sure u tick the box and state it in your description. If the item needs collecting never accept ppal always cash on collection and state this in your description too

3. Yes u can specify no returns but it wont do any good if a buyer opens a dispute as ebay/ppal wont take that in to consideration.

Yes u can set your buyer requirements to however u want. Click my ebay> site preference> buyers requirements and set any of      the other requirements u want eg if u only want to ship in the UK make sure u block the countries on all your listings and in the         "block bidders" section

4. Ppal rules state u must ship within 7 days of receiving payment in  your acc even if u cant access it if u are new to selling.

5. Always send to a confirmed address and always to the address ppal provide u with not ebay otherwise u lose psp.

Always check the payment is in your acc before shipping

6. The email address doesnt really concern u when u get paid u will be provided with sellers ppal address and that is the email address the buyer has made payment from.

7. No u dont have to offer a returns policy if u are independant most business do tho, yes u can tick no returns but dont forget what I  said earlier.

Yes some people do lose money and goods its a chance people take when selling as there are lots of scammers out there and dishonest people, altho some parcels do get genuinely lost and honest sellers have to pay the price for those that are dishonest!!

If ever unsure come back for advice before doing anything, once established u know most of what to look out for

Login to Me Too

pickledonion
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks minty1!

Re 1 - my question was really why a transaction would only be partially eligible (as opposed to fully eligible) for PSP?

Re 2 - are there only certain things that can be specified collection (or can anything)?

Cheers!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Re 1. Sometimes an acc is unverified or  address is unconfirmed ,ppal cant prove that they own the acc so they will only partial refund.

If the transaction is marked eligible, protection for both Unauthorized Payments and Item Not Received will apply. If it is marked partially eligible, protection for only Item Not Received will apply.

Items sold on eBay will be marked eligible even if the shipping address is marked unconfirmed.

Generally, items sold on websites other than eBay will be marked eligible if the shipping address is marked confirmed and partially eligible if the shipping address is marked unconfirmed.

Re.2 Normally large or delicate items are marked as collection only but at the end of the day its up to u as there are no specific items. But u must state collection only on your auctions. If u dont then and a buyer expects it to be posted u could receive negative feedback

Login to Me Too

pickledonion
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for that,

Last couple of questions:

Re 1. A transaction would only be 'partially eligible' for PSP if the account is unverified... so, can I block unverified accounts or refund the monies? (Or somehow not do business unless the account is verified?)

Re 2. I understand that eg large items such as cars, etc would be collect only. My question was really whether it was ok to state 'cash only on collection' AND for smaller items of value?

Hope these make sense!

Many thanks!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

No problemSmiley Wink

Re 1. I dont think u can block unverified users as u wont know they're unverified unless they make a payment to u.

U can refund anyone u want to always from the original transaction, but as an ebay seller it could impact on your DSR(detailed        sellers ratings) eg bad feedback and a mark(s) on your acc.

Re 2. U can state cash on collection for small valuable items yes like I said its your choice how u list or describe but make sure u state it clearly  on your listings and tick the collection only box

Some people might still buy even tho u have stated collection only in the hope u will post then its your choice what u do

Look thru other collection only listings to get a rough idea

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Re1. U can block unverified if u want to on your block bidders list if they ever to buy your items,as well as blocking anyone else u want to

Unconfirmed address is important too never ship unless ppal say its ok to ship and the item is eligible for sellers protection

also I should add if the buyer is unverified if ppal say its ok to ship then u should have sellers protection as they okeyed it as long as u ship to ppals provided address

Best not to ship internationally to unverified tho

Any expensive items make sure they are signed for and well wrapped/packaged

U can read up on unverified on ebay help pages or ask any ebay questions to the ebay community fast response on there

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

6. The email address doesnt really concern u when u get paid u will be provided with * buyers* ppal address and that is the email address the buyer has made payment from.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.