Scam?

waw0220
Contributor
Contributor

I've just sent my laptop to a buyer end I got this: 

Dear ...

You received an Update payment of 200.00 GBP from Brent Adetola

Thanks for using PayPal. You can now complete the transaction. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
You may now go on with the next step, as we have your fund with us in your PayPal escrow account.

Transaction ID: 97T59133YD753953Y

Before this, you need to send 
200.00 GBP to the buyer via western union money transfer to the address given below in order for us to credit your account with the total amount of 2,000.00 GBP

Sending address - confirmed
First Name:  Adetola
Last Name: Peter
State: Ogun State
Zip code: 110221

Note: Immediately you send the money please contact us with the information below by replying to this mail.

1) Sender's First Name
2) Sender's Last Name
3) Sender Address
4) The Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
5) The secret Question and Answer given to you at the western union outlet

We advise you to do this within 24 hours and get back to us with the senders information given to you at the western union office in order for us to credit your account immediately.

Do not hesitate to reply to this mail if you have any question(s) regarding this payment.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work together to protect your account.

Questions? contact the Help Center by replying to this message

Royal Mail International.Ship with Royal Mail the most secured and reliable shipping firm.

I've got scammed, isn't it? 
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@waw0220

Smiley Sad

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

waw0220
Contributor
Contributor
Can I ask what can I do?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@waw0220

If you have sent the item then you could contact Royal Mail at the post office you sent it from and see if they can stop it.

Or if it went to Nigeria then contact Nigeria post as some sellers have had success with that and they have returned the item.

But there is nothing paypal can do for you as the transaction was not done using paypals site, it was done via spoof emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.