Scam on ebay with buying bitcoins

rubbol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I m a new seller on ebay and i sell bitcoins,

the following occured on the first day,  i sell 5 items and within 2 hours two different people 

open a claim on unauthorized use of their accounts after they received the bitcoins from me.

Paypal takes the money on hold and start a 'investigation' so they call it.

I uploaded all info i got from the buyer like bitcoinadress messages like thank you i received the bitcoins etc.

After a few days first case get s closed and they took the money and give it back to the buyer which also has my bitcoins.

So know im **bleep**, i started my own investigation and after a few minutes tracking the bitcoins where they went 

i found out both the different people send the bitcoins to the same adress  so or they know each other and work together 

or the 2 persons are just one person.

Paypal does nothing else then protecting the buyers (scammers) and just take my money and give me the responsibillty

that someone else losses his passwords or gets hacked ' or just scams ' 

If you have the same thing happend to you please let me know 

i have a screen with over 15 payments from sellers to those two people maybe we can stand together to get our money back from paypal.

And i hope someone can help me figuring out to prevend people from scamming me this way.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

Crystal_white
Contributor
Contributor
My account was recently hacked on eBay by someone whom kept purchasing bitcoins...I've had to contact eBay, PayPal, and my bank because their all linked together. Not everyone that buys from you are scammers. people accounts really are hacked.
Login to Me Too

bretatiyeh
Contributor
Contributor

You just proved my point. The person that sold those bitcoins is going to get **bleep**. You will get your money back and they will lose out, so yes, it is fair to say that everyone buying bitcoins on Ebay is a scam.

Why else would you buy there? You can get them for market rate now at dozens of places. If you sell BTC on Ebay, you are nuts. It is a no win situation.

Login to Me Too

therealjayvi
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I just got hit HARD by this...

I had called and spoke with a PayPal representative before I started using PayPal to sell cryptos. The representative told me that as long as transactions were taking place via the invoicing system that I am covered under the protection policy against any fraudulent chargeback claims. 

In theory this makes perfect sense, because via the invoicing system you can set Terms & Conditions, Return/Refund Policies, etc. PayPal also gets to make their cut of your profits when using invoices, so with that being the case I set the most lengthy, wordy, overbearing set of Terms and Conditions that I could possibly come up with. The following is what I put on my invoices:

By paying this invoice you hereby agree to conform to all Terms and Conditions set in place on www.localbitcoins.com as well as all terms and conditions set in place by www.paypal.com. You also agree that this is payment can NEVER BE REFUNDED. By paying this invoice you agree to forfeit any and all rights to be used in an attempt to revoke payment at a later date. Should a case be opened against me (the seller) then by accepting this invoice and further sending payment of this invoice you agree that all cases will be immediately closed in MY favor for which you will NOT be able to win. Only pay if you accept and agree with these terms and conditions.

And in the notes section I also put:

This is a non-refundable purchase. Payments sent via eCheck, Friends and Family, Credit/Debit Card or PayPal Credit will not be accepted.

I have 3 days worth of Google Voice text logs between me and a buyer from Localbitcoins where I just went out of my way and spent **bleep** near my entire funds to get more and more Bitcoin to sell to him, I have screenshots from the buyer that were of the account and Drivers License, and considering an event I experienced a few months ago in which a hacker guessed my password and PayPal immediately locked down my account, preventing any further access, I thought there was absolutely no way for this to go wrong.

The buyer paid for three invoices over the course of three days, the first for $1500, the second for $1499, and the third for $1545. The first payment went through and was available instantly. The next two PayPal decided to hold the funds, even though I transact much higher volume with them in the past and have had my account for many years. I called and was fed the same bull **bleep** that they always spoon-feed their employees "we hold the funds to make sure that everything is going safely". So I had to wait for three days before I could get my rightfully earned money. After the second day I get one chargeback for the third transaction of $1545, then while on the phone with PayPal I'm told completely the opposite of what the first rep told me!! "Since this is not a tangible item you are not covered under seller protection". ARE YOU **bleep** KIDDING ME?! NEWS FLASH PAYPAL, BITCOIN IS A **bleep** TANGIBLE ITEM!! THERE IS A PERMANENT LEDGER OF EACH AND EVERY TRANSACTION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE FOR ALL TO SEE AT ANY TIME!! Oh but it gets better! While on the phone with the rep, who by the way told me that it doesn't matter what the seller has to say against "unauthorized charge" claims, because the ONLY EVIDENCE LOOKED AT IS THE LOGIN INFORMATION OF THE BUYER AND IT IS UP TO THE REPRESENTATIVE TO DETERMINE IF ANYTHING LOOKS "SUSPICIOUS" TO MAKE THE DECISION WHETHWR THE SELLER GETS REFUNDED OR BENT OVER BACKWARDS **bleep** IN THE **bleep** BY FRAUDULENT BUYER **bleep**. It doesn't end there yet! As the phone call was ending I checked and sure enough the second of three chargebacks came through of $1499! So the rep gives me an email for this fabled and magical "back office" whom have absolutely no direct contact apparently, and that I will need to wait 1 to 2 weeks before I get an answer or decision.

So that's just **bleep** great. I just lost over $4000 grand total because PayPal are a bunch of dumb **bleep** **bleep** stuck in the Stone age and can't understand what Bitcoin is. Bitcoin IS a tangible item. There is a **bleep** Bitcoin ATM two blocks from my house. I **bleep** pull my Bitcoin out of it in the form of Fiat US Dollars often. Anybody can see how much and with whom I transact via the blockchain from now until forever. It is **bleep** tangible. Now my business is absolutely **bleep** because of a false assurance given by a PayPal rep and the fact that PayPal refuses to take one for the team in the event some stupid **bleep** gets his account hacked. Guess what? It's not my **bleep** fault you're account got hacked. It's PayPals fault they were able to spend your money, because with the amount of security in place with PayPal nobody should ever be able to gain unauthorized access to funds, sure an account can get hacked, but actually spending money is a completely different story. That's YOUR **bleep** fault PayPal, why not take some of that money you get from your fees and hire some **bleep** competent security professionals? Or better yet! Pull your **bleep** head out and realize the ONLY alternative that could possibly be the reason for an "unauthorized charge": BECAUSE IT IS AN INTENTIONAL RUSE TO FRAUDULENTLY ABUSE THE ABSOLUTE LACK OF PROTECTION YOU HAVE FOR HONEST SELLERS. **bleep** you PayPal. **bleep** you.

Login to Me Too

bretatiyeh
Contributor
Contributor
With easy access to buying crypto on so many sites now, it does not make sense that anyone would buy or sell on eBay as the commission structure for eBay is way too high, the prices fluctuate to rapidly and the rate of fraud is very high and there's very little seller protection. EBay/PayPal has shown that they are not the vehicle to sell crypto. It just does not make any sense.
Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
I agree, the only way to make money on crypto is to buy/sell on an exchange and keep it OFFLINE in a hardware wallet. I think eBay should now remove the category and not allow it to be sold.
Login to Me Too

kosin635
New Community Member
Can you send me all user details. Someone bjust do same thing to me.
Login to Me Too

sjamali9
same happening with me right now please help
Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
DON'T send any coins until you have proof of address and a copy of ID. My last listing was bought by 6 buyers and all 6 were scams. I tried listing again asking for a copy of driving licence or passport AND a utility bill which MUST match eBay and PayPal accounts. Guess what? No buyers! Therefore, 99% of crypto buyers on eBay are scammer so DON'T sell, it's as simple as that. Also eBay DON'T offer seller protection for digital items so you need to open a case with PayPal. Make sure you have a blockchain screenshot AND the link to send to PayPal as evidence. Even if a buyer's account isn't hacked, they can still try a chargeback even weeks after My advise is to NOT sell crypto on eBay at all as you WILL get scammed and it's a huge amount if work to sort it all out as well as expensive! Any genuine buyer knows that it's safer and cheaper to buy on an exchange. It's a shame, but eBay has become a very unsafe place to sell anything these days.
Login to Me Too

Maxiums84
New Community Member

1:Hello thank you for buying my bitcoin what is your wallet number please.
2: My name is Demetrius Saunders. My BTC wallet is 12dMHefwZHhVAz52d3TMsM9rLSM2micbyR
1:Sent but got this message. 
Bitcoin Transaction Delays
We're currently working through a backlog of Bitcoin withdrawals. Recent or new outbound BTC transactions may remain pending longer than expected.
It may take a little.
2:Okay, no problem!
5 minutes latter.....
2:Hello there. Sorry to inform you of this, however I never purchased anything from you. I don't know how this happened or if someone hack my account or something. It says $35.99 was taken from my paypal account and I would like a full refund if possible. This issue will be reported to eBay and PayPal by the way.
1:Oh sure and you came with this scripted sorry apology to try to scam me? About two minutes after the transaction. Im sorry to tell you that if someone hacked your account that is either your responsibility or Paypal for not securing your account properly. The bitcoin has been send to the provided wallet address there is no way to get them back and you know that. I completed my part of the deal now you complete yours. Also at this time your paypal account still active and havent tried to contact pay pal to lock your account.
2:Look just so you know. I was trying to help you out. I didn't buy anything. I was trying to tell you so you don't send it out. I would hate for you to send it, something happens and this person pull one over on both of us. I really don't care if I get a refund or if I do. I'm talking to PayPal now.. but if you already sent it. It is what it is I guess

BS!!!!

Login to Me Too

GreenTurbo
Contributor
Contributor

I share your pain sellers. By the time of the last scammer purchase I had I was keen to dig a little bit more into the mind of the scammer I was now clearly communicating with. The buyer account being used was clearly really owned by an older lady who was into cats and cross stitch from her purchase history and a few Google searches. Why would she hence start to buy bitcoins and send messages with words like "hey" at 11:55pm? It was clearly a hacked account (again) I even got an email from the email account on the PayPal account from the hacker trying to further validate they were genuinue. So I asked for a scan of a driving license and it was so clearly fake it was untrue. A Google search even showed the same image used. I reported to eBay who basically said they found no problem with the buyer ignoring my suggestion of fraud and that the users account being hacked. This morning I receive a message from the real owner of the eBay account a 69 year old lady not sure of what has happened with her accounts but aware they have been hacked.

Fortunatly in this sitation I did not release any bitcoins, but in the past I have. I have had a couple of the genuinely hacked account situations, I do have some sympathy for the buyer here as they tend to have been left in a real mess. I have also had some buyers who seem to forget they bought something off you and then claim their account was hacked? The way some of these individuals act and communicate makes me think they might be just trying it on.

The PayPal protection is poor and not alligned to eBay. eBay would tell me not to worry, withdraw the funds and I was covered. PayPal then would just take the money from my PayPal account leaving me with a debit at the first indication of a fraudulant transaction.

Anyone know if their is a eBay Bitcoin scammer hunter group? 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.