Scam on ebay with buying bitcoins

rubbol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I m a new seller on ebay and i sell bitcoins,

the following occured on the first day,  i sell 5 items and within 2 hours two different people 

open a claim on unauthorized use of their accounts after they received the bitcoins from me.

Paypal takes the money on hold and start a 'investigation' so they call it.

I uploaded all info i got from the buyer like bitcoinadress messages like thank you i received the bitcoins etc.

After a few days first case get s closed and they took the money and give it back to the buyer which also has my bitcoins.

So know im **bleep**, i started my own investigation and after a few minutes tracking the bitcoins where they went 

i found out both the different people send the bitcoins to the same adress  so or they know each other and work together 

or the 2 persons are just one person.

Paypal does nothing else then protecting the buyers (scammers) and just take my money and give me the responsibillty

that someone else losses his passwords or gets hacked ' or just scams ' 

If you have the same thing happend to you please let me know 

i have a screen with over 15 payments from sellers to those two people maybe we can stand together to get our money back from paypal.

And i hope someone can help me figuring out to prevend people from scamming me this way.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rubbol

There is no paypal seller protection on paypal for virtual items, you can sell them but entirely at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mrsatoshi
Contributor
Contributor
Why letting you sell them if there's no protection? I'll tell you why coz if they can make money on you with no responsibility what so ever it's awesome for them PayPal eBay have reckless behavior terrible customer service for sure it's going to get them out of business in the next decade this work with Amazon for few months and you will understand what I'm talking about!
Login to Me Too

Proditneg
New Community Member
Well it seems there is, as Paypal protected the two (one) thieves!
Login to Me Too

therealjayvi
Contributor
Contributor

See, I don't agree with this statement, by any means, at all. 

Bitcoin, first of all, is not a "virtual" good. Bitcoin is a "digital" good.

DIGITAL

(source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/digital)

- (of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization.

VIRTUAL

(source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virtual)

- not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.

The difference between the two being that Bitcoin has a PHYSICAL aspect pertaining to it. It can be tracked between people by way of transaction hashes; each and every Bitcoin transaction has a PHYSICAL space being taken up in the blockchain (hence the need for Segwit); and I can go right down to the Bitcoin ATM and either purchase or withdraw my Bitcoin as PHYSICAL fiat CASH. 

Something that is virtual does not physically exist: it is a virtual environment inside of a PC that emulates another PC; it is the virtualized environment people immerse themselves in by putting on a VR helmet and simulate the world around you. But that world CANNOT manifest itself into something physically (yet). 

Extreme difference between the two, and considering it's now August, 2017, 9 YEARS AFTER BITCOIN'S INCEPTION, its about time such a massive company pull themselves out of the Stone Age and people like you need to quit mistaking everybody else online with your false information. Bitcoin is a DIGITAL ASSET, not a "virtual good".

Furthermore..

For years now I've been using paypal and one of the main features of it is when making payments to somebody. We are all very aware of the ONLY two options available when sending a payment to somebody:

- Friends and Family

- Goods and Services

Why is it that PayPal openly promotes "Goods and Services" as an option for payments, when, by your theory of "There is no paypal seller protection on paypal for virtual items..."? If what you claim is the case then why aren't every single transaction made via the openly promoted "Goods and Services" just as equally susceptible to this scam than all of ours? 

Lastly...

What this all boils down to is not a matter or argument whether or not Bitcoin should be allowed to be sold via PayPal; this is an issue with the fact regardless of the insurmountable amount of evidence proving that 99% of cases here are because of PROVEN fraud and illegal activity, that PayPal is turning a blind eye while legitimate business owners are getting **bleep**ed on under the ruse of "PayPal Protection Policy".

Your defense in this matter holds no merit.

Login to Me Too

AlphaCentauri

they should have an allert before you post the listing for crypto. 

Login to Me Too

skbrockel
The bitcoin scam works both ways I didn't buy bitcoin yet there are too charges on my bank card which isn't attached to my ebay account, its only attached to my paypal, but in this instance somehow someone used my account and card for two purchase of bitcoin???
Login to Me Too

trustkor
New Community Member

i currently sell bitcoin on ebay.
i sold it to over 20 peoples

but over 15people were scammers.
after i sent bit coin,
they all said same thing.
"my id was hacked give me my money back"

i really want to know why all they reallized it,
after i sent bitcoin???
i messages them before the transaction,
but they answered as nomally.

as i know your investigation team investigate these cases.

i won from some cases,
but i lost from some cases, even though i sent them the tracking info.
how did you investigate??? the transaction is heppend from other country? what if the buy use VPN?
i don't understand whole of this,
i talked cur1ycinders via message alot.
but he answered properly, after this, he bought again from me, and now it was hacked? it is liying

Login to Me Too

AlphaCentauri

FRAUD ! I agree I reported a few users on ebay that scammed me in the same way. Ebay does not have respect for long therm members like myself and did not protected me. I lost money as you described. I even complained below to ebay reporting the buyers with no result.
''this buyer is a scammer along with others that are using the opportunity ebay gave them to gain cryptocurrency and reverse the payment using means like reporting that they have not used they account. I have been a member of ebay for many years and never came across this type of reasons to avoid the payment after the items sent. Very clever. I feel very insulted by ebay to allow it to happen to me as a long therm member. I lost about 100 pounds in the last 2 days being cheated by this user and a few other using exactly the same tactic. I am reading now on google of many other victims of this scam that ebay is allowing to be happening despite multiple reports of the same fraudulent practices''

Login to Me Too

bretatiyeh
Contributor
Contributor

I am an Ebay seller with over 1000 positive feedbacks. I have been on PayPal for over 15 years with no problems.

After acquiring some Bitcoin, I decided to sell a small anount on Ebay. Two transactions, paid through PayPal, emails through Ebay's email communications and everything seemed fine.

The next morning, the buyer goes to his bank and claims unauthorized transaction, Paypal holds my money. I lose.

I did everything right, sent the Bitcoin to a verified Paypal member and eBayer with hundreds of feedbacks. Paypal & Ebay do not care.

Bottom line, if you sell virtual currency on Ebay, you will get ripped off and nobody will care.

Ebay should stop all virtual currency transactions, as should Paypal, since they refuse to help when a great customer gets ripped off.

Send me some Bitcoin and I will say thanks....Send me some Bitcoin Please

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.