Scam on ebay with buying bitcoins

rubbol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I m a new seller on ebay and i sell bitcoins,

the following occured on the first day,  i sell 5 items and within 2 hours two different people 

open a claim on unauthorized use of their accounts after they received the bitcoins from me.

Paypal takes the money on hold and start a 'investigation' so they call it.

I uploaded all info i got from the buyer like bitcoinadress messages like thank you i received the bitcoins etc.

After a few days first case get s closed and they took the money and give it back to the buyer which also has my bitcoins.

So know im **bleep**, i started my own investigation and after a few minutes tracking the bitcoins where they went 

i found out both the different people send the bitcoins to the same adress  so or they know each other and work together 

or the 2 persons are just one person.

Paypal does nothing else then protecting the buyers (scammers) and just take my money and give me the responsibillty

that someone else losses his passwords or gets hacked ' or just scams ' 

If you have the same thing happend to you please let me know 

i have a screen with over 15 payments from sellers to those two people maybe we can stand together to get our money back from paypal.

And i hope someone can help me figuring out to prevend people from scamming me this way.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

Astroid1030
Contributor
Contributor

If u tell the buyer to give u 5 star and after that ull send the bitcoins can PayPal also take your money?

Login to Me Too

funkynanna

Ah crappo, wish i'd seen this forum message before i did the same.

A few weeks ago i sold some bitcoin, 59 items in total with a percentage going to charity, and yes the same is happening to me!

well over 50% of all the transactions have been so far been reversed by PayPal. These buyers are clearly scammers!

The thing that really **bleep** me off besides allowing myself to be scammed is the lack of support or ability to provide information to PayPal, their resolution and case systems is crap, only allowing pre-determined information to be submitted. I ended up writing evidence docoumets and cover letters and uploading them as PDF files in their ID document categories, then following them up with a phone call to make sure the PayPal staff recieved and actually read the cover letter, then forwarded them on to the relevant departments (To be fair to the staff they were always very helpful on the phone)

So far none of the reversal cases have gone in my favor and now im currently over £500 out of pocket with more cases still happening as we speak, i stand to loose about £1000 in total!

As im in the UK ive reported it to the Police National Fraud department and have recieved a Crime reference number. The dumb thing on the buyers part is their Full names and addresses are listed on the ebay transaction, wether they are genuine or not i dont know, but at least  it's something for the police to work with.

Ive leanrt the very hard way: DO NOT SELL BITCOIN ON EBAY, there is full buyer protection but absolutley none for the seller.

Login to Me Too

AlphaCentauri

FRAUD ! I agree I reported a few users on ebay that scammed me in the same way. Ebay does not have respect for long therm members like myself and did not protected me. I lost money as you described. I even complained below to ebay reporting the buyers with no result.
''this buyer is a scammer along with others that are using the opportunity ebay gave them to gain cryptocurrency and reverse the payment using means like reporting that they have not used they account. I have been a member of ebay for many years and never came across this type of reasons to avoid the payment after the items sent. Very clever. I feel very insulted by ebay to allow it to happen to me as a long therm member. I lost about 100 pounds in the last 2 days being cheated by this user and a few other using exactly the same tactic. I am reading now on google of many other victims of this scam that ebay is allowing to be happening despite multiple reports of the same fraudulent practices''

Login to Me Too

EasyCryptoShop
Contributor
Contributor

All crypto-currencies should be sold as a FINAL sale, no Paypal / eBay buyer protection. Sellers rely on the feedback.

Login to Me Too

Mrsatoshi
Contributor
Contributor
Yea dude I'm in the middle of it after two days selling bitcoins communicating with the alleged buyer getting the money and wallet address just to find out I got scammed and the money will be returned to buyer in full "investigation" lol it's just to make you feel they try they don't investigate nada one the money on hold it's gone and going back to the buyer I send proof to PayPal and eBay from block chain that the money was sent at the amount time and date you know what they said nothing they don't even reply to like 20 email just getting the same automated email of hoe to refund s buyer the first scam is the buyer but the bigger dirtier scam is PayPal corp. I have over 1000+ positive feedback and been active for the last 12 years I get 0 protection from eBay or PayPal as the work hand in hand the scam is starting by letting you sell legally Bitcoins and revive payments on PayPal but if there's an issue it's 99% of the time the seller that needs to suffer the lost of money and 1% the buyer the great thing about it that eBay and PayPal don't have to pay either side the seller or buyer covers the scam cost and all the crazy high fees you pay to PayPal and eBay worth nothing bottom line eBay is outdated site with tones of scams super slow and old school shipping with plenty of loop holes for buyers to abuse sellers it's hard to navigate and PayPal has a slow hard to navigate site and credit card platform I have ever seen I have credit with PayPal for years and it's the one credit I hate to go online to pay so inconvenient! Oh yea one of the scammers with two fake account left me a two negative feedbacks and eBay can't do anything about it! Guys do yourself a big big facmvir and do what I did switch to a real company go to AMAZON free two day shipping or same day better prices then eBay on pretty much everything 5% cash back on their credit card professional packaging and really amazing customer service phone or email the get back to you sometimes in few hrs via email super helpful take responsibility and canceling things on the spot and refund money immediately **bleep** eBay and PayPal it's a big joke and being used by scammers outdated clueless people that just pay more for much less
Login to Me Too

PalPerson
New Community Member

This is an important thread and a very serious subject. 5 minutes ago I finished responding to the 12th fraudulent bitcoin claim in a row from the same person on my PayPal account. It took me more than 7 hours all together to gather all the information I needed to answer all these fraud cases, and I don't yet know how PayPal will handle the cases. But it took me about a week to respond to all of them.

I sold my bitcoin on Localbitcoin.com, and all the deals were done through PayPal. What I didn't know at that time, was the true cost of all the PayPal charges, so my business was break-even at best, until the crimes started rolling in like a wave.

Charges:

4% seller's fee
    4% to get the money back into my bank (exchange rates - I use Korean Won in my real life)

I sold bitcoin to 7 different people during that week, and only one was a criminal (so far). This person used localbitoin to get my PayPal email, and then contacted me direct by email to order bitcoin from me over the course of two weeks.

She never warned me before she made a PayPal payment to my account, but would send me an email afterward, telling me that she wanted more bitcoin. We transacted this way 12 times before she challeneged all of her PayPal payments all at one time on the same day. The total was only a little over $500, but together with the pain of the PayPal fees, it hits pretty hard.

PayPal gives sellers 7 days to respond, and I just finishe here on the 7th and last day. I have read a lot of horror stories about PayPal supporting the criminals, but I have never experienced a fraud until now. I am interested to see how they handle it, and will post back here once they show their quality that way.

I did a careful defense with all our email communications, evidence of bitcoin transactions to the thief's wallet address from mine, blockchain.info transaction confirmation, and commentary explanation all along. Organized this materail all into a series of 5 PDF files and submitted it all. After reading the expereinces on this page, and on others like it, I fear PayPal has not yet realized the seriousness of their reputation in this matter, or learned enough about bitcoin to fairly mediate claims like this.

The other possibility is that most seller don't provide enough proof for PayPal to make the seller's defense. I hope the latter is true, and that PayPal will rule in my favor because I did give them solid proof.

Either way, PayPal clearly has issues with bitcoin trading, and needs to figure this out.

Jeff and Myung

We make about $2500 per day from trading bitcoin between markets, mostly using pure exchange to exchange. We only attempt selling to individuals if there is not much spread between the different exchanges.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PalPerson

Might have been a good idea to have read up on >>

1. Paypal FEES.

2. Currency conversion FEES.

3. Seller protection requirements and coverage.

Before you started to use paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jonnaten
Contributor
Contributor
How did your case go in the end? I have alot of cases open against me right now..
Login to Me Too

bretatiyeh
Contributor
Contributor
Don't ever sell crypto on eBay. You have zero protection and it is always a scam. Why would anyone buy above market on eBay when they have so many safe options to buy and sell. Use a different platform or lose your money.
Login to Me Too

endaiin

I Have Same Problem.

Last night A Buyer with name **** *****(Ebay ID:******) buy my Bitcoin. When I already transfer the bitcoin He Claim His ebay was Hacked.

Who knows His account hacked? I think buyers account hacked not Seller responsibility.

Dear Paypal & EBAY,

Please help, don't canceled the transaction, don't return the money, because transaction Crypto Currency when it send it can not cancel.

Buyers must resposibillity for his personal account.

if You cancel, I want my Bitcoin back + Fee transaction.

Regards & Thank You,

Endaiin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.