Scam email from Nigeria ---- still happening.

MARAZA
New Community Member

I recently listed and iPhone on ebay and immediately was contacted by this guy who wanted to pay more than the asking price. Obviously I thought it too good to be true. It had all the signs of fraud. But I thought lets see what happens.

I decided to post it for the benefits of others. DON’T GET SCAMMED

This is how it happened

New message from: bingobabea13 (25)

Thanks for the reply,I will pay £600 including p&p via Royal Mail international signed for outside UK..Pls,get back to me with your PayPal email address for me to make out the payment.

Thanks

Kindly send your PayPal email to my email below hewitt1  at outlook  xx-c o m

Hello,
Payment has been made,The money has been deducted from my account.Kindly let me know as soon as you receive payment confirmation email from PayPal.I hope there is no icoud/FindMyIphone on this iphone, if there's i urge you to disable it before sending.Please send me the imei number of the Iphone.

Many Thanks..

Then I got an email apparently from paypal as below (First one)

Item no.251993565421- Notification of an Instant Payment Received from bingobabea13(hewitt1d  at outlook  xx-c o m)

service-at-paypal--co--uk (service-at-paypayalert-- co -- uk)

Add to contacts

01:55

To:xxxxx

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.

Show content|I trust service-at-paypayalert-- co -- uk. Always show content.

Transaction ID: JX432687HE2365315

Dear mxxxxx,

You received a payment of £600.00 GBP from bingobabea13(hewitt1d  at outlook  xx-c o m)

Thanks for using PayPal. You can now send any items.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

This item is eligible for Seller Protection.

Don't forget to:

• Send the item to the delivery address below within 24 hours.
    Please note: items delivered in person or to a different address are not covered by Seller Protection.
  • Use a trackable proof of delivery.

Important Note:

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment bar code/tracking number is sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

Buyer
bingobabea13
hewitt1d  at outlook  xx-c o m 

Note to seller

·         The buyer hasn't sent a note.

Delivery address – confirmed
Bright Ike
44 Olayinka street
Ijehsated,Lagos
23401,Nigeria

Shipping details
Royal Mail international signed for 

Description

Unit price

Qty

Amount

Apple iPhone 6 (Latest Model) - 16GB - Space Grey (Unlocked) Smartphone
Item Number 251993565421

£600.00 GBP

£600.00 GBP

Postage and packaging

£0.00 GBP

Insurance - not offered

----

Total

£600.00 GBP

Payment

£600.00 GBP

Payment sent to xxxxxhotmai--c o m

Questions?

Please reply to this email. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive a response. For assistance, contact PayPal customer care at: service-at-paypayalert-- co -- uk or or on +44 -- 702404--4824 between 8 am. - 6:30 pm. Monday to Friday. 12 pm - 6 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Immediately with the bar code / tracking number so we can credit your account.

Copyright © 1999-2015 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Société en -c o mmandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

2nd email I got

Shipment reference number needed for Item no.251993565421

service-at-paypal--co--uk (service-at-paypayalert-- co -- uk)

Add to contacts

01:56

To: xxxxxx

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.

Show content|I trust service-at-paypayalert-- co -- uk. Always show content.

Dear xxxxx3,
We hereby inform you that the total sum of £600.00 GBP has been paid to your PayPal account by (bingobabea13). We urge you to ship out the (Apple iPhone 6 (Latest Model) - 16GB - Space Grey (Unlocked) Smartphone) via Royal Mail International Signed for and set forward the shipment number for verification. Your account will be credited immediately after the shipment number has been verified. 

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Spot the signs that it’s a scam.

1. Customer care number is a mobile number …. Hmm
  2. co.uk …. Yea right. This is not a genuine paypal email
  3. Paypal or ebay does not ask you to post within 24 hours
  4. There is no such transaction showing in my paypal account.
  5. Seller protection is not available in Nigeria
  6. Note the customer care statement at the bottom. It has grammatical mistakes

So I have reported this guy to PayPal fraud team. I have removed -ats in the emails to allow me posting

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well its unlikely they are going to stop trying to scam and if you read the board there are plenty of threads already on the subject.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

gunner82
New Community Member

Many thanks for this.... I recievced a simialar email today. Knew it was spam as I checked my paypal account first and did not trust the contetnts of the email. 

Login to Me Too

lloyd3
New Community Member
This happened to me this week! I tried to sell my macbook and I thought the email was legit. I dispatched the item and everything! It was the same eBay buyer "bingobabea13" luckily I managed to get parcleforce to stop and return the item before it got delivered. Can't believe I actually fell for it!
Login to Me Too

Denzdee
Contributor
Contributor
Hi lloyd this has happened to me today, how did you get parcel force to return the Mac? I sent my Mac this morning but hopefully there is time to get it back before it's delivered to this con artist!! Please help! Thanks! Dee
Login to Me Too

Nastarano
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me. However his address was in the uk and got delivered to there as well. It was 24 hour delivery service so before I even got to know it was a scam it already got delivered. I started crying as soon as I found out, not because I lost the MacBook Pro, but because I am such an idiot. I'm not sure what to do and it's making me sad that this person just got away with it. Please any advice?
Login to Me Too

Denzdee
Contributor
Contributor
Hi nastarano, you must feel terrible I felt physically sick when I realised what had happened, which address did you send it to? And name? Any other details? Was it the same eBay user Bingobabea13 Thanks, Dee
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Denzdee

Best not to post usernames, scammers hijack innocent users ebay accounts and you are probably posting on a public board an innocent users name who may be trying to re-gain their ebay or paypal accounts.

Remember also paypal NEVER tell you to send an item trackable, they only advise it for seller protection. Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alexszymanski14
Contributor
Contributor
Hi this literally happened to me today, I have registered the parcel with the post office but then found out it was fraud and I have to get a fraud letter from the police to get it back, was it this complicated for you?
Login to Me Too

Jeidah
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Maraza, I have just received almost the exact same email as you and it only occurred in my spam. Although I haven't received any notifications on paypal. The email also asked for shipping details and that the money is pending until I send the details. I have also read that PayPal does not ask for personal details through mail so that's how I knew it was fake and because it only came in my spam. Please tell me how I can report this so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.