Recent Fraud-Nigerian Scam

Kkeev1016
New Community Member

Just recently about 2 days ago, I sold my Iphone on Craigslist.  I had many offers, most wanting to meet in person but I was never comfortable with that. Finally I had what seemed to be a husband and wife requesting to send a phone as a birthday with.  They even asked me to put a note saying, "Happy Birthday" Love mom and Dad.  I noticed they became pushy, and were asking a million questions and using 3 different cell phone numbers stating that their other phone died etc.

Long story short, I receive a bunch of confirmation Paypal fraudulent emails that looked so real.  These emails were explaining that the money was pending, and that I needed to send the item and send the tracking number to paypal.  Well these idiots got me. My phone is currently on its way to 17 Ayodele Street, Surulere, Lagos Nigeria 23401. Nakel Smith and Nakel Sean were the names used.  They evenly persistently continued to text me and ask if it was sent, but the way they were texting I could tell they had broken english. Please watch out for this.  Its frustrating and upsetting that this happens so often.  So I filed a package interception request, called local authorities and I am keeping any peice of mail, receipt that I used going through this.  Especially because I paid $60 for shipping.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This scam has been going on for years, folks in Nigeria cannot even own a paypal account.

Sorry they got you.

NIGERIAN SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.