Re: Fraud, Nigeria

AMogs

PRETTY SURE I'M BEING SCAMMED AS WE SPEAK - PLEASE ADVISE....

"Sold" iPhone 6plus on Ebay, bid was won at the last second by a "smithsuk0", at this point i'm thinking GREAT, UK shipping address...no worries.

I then recieve an Ebay message from the 'buyer' saying;

"Just won your auction and I will like to make a prompt payment via paypal, kindly log into your account and send me a money request to my email so I can transfer fund ASAP"

...stupidly it seems, I obeyed the orders and sent a money request through the PayPal app. I then recieve a private email saying the payment has been made and to check my 'inbox, spam or junk', in the same email he asks me to send to his Cousin in Nigeria as it's a surprise gift. The delivery address was given;

Jerry Dammy,

109 Adefemi Street

Abesan Ipaja

Lagos 23401

Nigeria

...at this point im thinking something isn't right and decide i'd Google Maps the address out of curiosity and before I even got to Google Maps....bam! Here we are. 

I'm unsure of what to do next (PLEASE HELP), what type of scam are we looking at here?! Is it simply a ship-never get paid scam whereby I can just tell this bloke to get on his bike or is it PayPal details leading to bank fraud scenario whereby, well im f**cked!

Any advise would be great, I will be ignoring emails from the so-called buyer until then.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AMogs

Yeah its a scam. >>>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They use hijacked ebay usernames and

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.