Possibly fraud?

Franki2774
Contributor
Contributor
I'm selling my computer on eBay and I get a request for more than the amount that I wanted and now they are asking me to send it express to Nigeria for their cousin's birthday. They are very adiment about sending it today. I looked up the address in google and I got links that read off of fraud. How should I go about this?
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franki2774

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

They use hijacked ebay user i.d's.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franki2774

Your welcome  !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Franki2774
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much! Is there anyway to report him on eBay?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franki2774

They used hijacked ebay i.d's normally and nothing of the transaction is normally done via ebay checkout or paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LewisPike
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling an alien ware 17 laptop on ebay. Then someone called marcus hill emails me 'after we've talked about prices' saying the payment is done. I get a email from paypal saying that he has sent the payment after he sends.

"Hi

Have successfully sent the payment for the item, could you please do me a favour by checking your email address for Paypal confirmation. I have make the payment, the fund was deducted from my account and I got Paypal payment receipt in my spam email I believe you should also receive payment confirmation in your email as well.

Kindly check your email address for the payment confirmation and proceed with the shipment as soon as possible.

Here is the shipment address below: 

Kofo Moses
21, Olushola Keku Str,
Surulere 101014
Lagos Nigeria.

You are to post through PARCELFORCE GLOBAL PRIORITY and you will obtain reference number or barcode in this format (EE 000 000 000 GB). Wrap and package it before heading to post and if you are asked let the Clark understand that the parcel is a gift item to a family friend and not for sales so that they won't include custom paper and the receiver will not pay on delivery.

Thanks.
Marc "

Does this seem legit or fake help?

Login to Me Too

Franki2774
Contributor
Contributor
I would safely assume that this is a scam. Check your email and the PayPal confirmation that was sent to you is probably not even from PayPal. Also he says to send it as a gift which you should not do because it's not a gift.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LewisPike

Did you actually read my post above? The first one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Franki2774
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, I did.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franki2774

I know you did, I was refering and headed my post to   >>>

@LewisPike

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.