Possible scam

AlexNash
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all, I'm new to PayPal and eBay and I decided to put an item on EBay today. About 1hour ago, I received a message from eBay saying that someone had purchased the item I am selling. They asked me to send this item to their cousin in Nigeria at this address; Olajuwon Stephen 27 Bello Streets Abesan Ipaja Lagos State 23401 Nigeria. I was wondering whether anyone knows if this is a scam or not as I searched the address and name on Google and the first search result was a list of scampers based in Nigeria with fake PayPal accounts.
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AlexNash

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal or ebay.....it isn't.

They often use hijacked ebay accounts so whilst you may get a proper ebay email the payment won't be made.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

(If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.)

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AlexNash
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed a flaw in the grammar of the email which did start ringing alarm bells. This morning EBay emailed me saying it was a scam purchaser too, so it's all been cancelled and luckily I still have the item too. All worked out for the best! Thanks again, Alex.
Login to Me Too

TurtleGirl94
New Community Member
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a scam? I received the same message today about an item I had listed on eBay.
Login to Me Too

TurtleGirl94
New Community Member
Hello I will like to inform you that I have made the payment and hope I won't regret buying from you cos I have made the payment in good fate, kindly help me send the item to my cousin as a birthday gift, kindly check your PayPal email inbox or spam folder to check if PayPal have notify you regarding... is the message I received this morning.
Login to Me Too

Landon1
Contributor
Contributor
I was sent the same exact message this morning
Login to Me Too

Chloe26
Contributor
Contributor
I put my ipad on bid and this person messaged me saying he will have it so agreed to the price and then he asked for me paypal address so I gave it him it then I got another messages sayinh i will give you the extra £30 I want it posting to JERRY DAMMY  109, Adefemi Street, Abesan Ipaja, Lagos,23401 Nigeria. Its his cousins birthday and he wanted it to be sent out today, am not sending it out all the way there am really worried now i have gave this person my personal email address.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chloe26

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.
You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers. If they know you are not going to be scammed they just move on to the next victim.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Chloe26
Contributor
Contributor
I rang ebay you then have cancelled it for me, this person has emailed me 3 times in half an hour saying that they have paid and They want it sent out today. Some people need to get a life
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chloe26

Well i didn't cancel anything as i have nothing to do with either ebay or paypal.

But if ebay cancelled it then thats fine but paypal would not need to do anything as no part of the transaction would have been done via paypal, its all done via fake emails.

But your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.