Pending balance

Gkinghrn
Contributor
Contributor

The pending balance concept seems fine in principle,even but 21 Days? Ridiculous..

What is there to safeguard me if I have a pending balance, he gets the goods and then cancels the transaction? He has my money and my goods?

Oh and 7.49 in fees for a £200 transaction is ridiculous... I may stop using PayPal at that level. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gkinghrn

Firstly its not 21 days always, if you send trackable then the funds are released earlier if paypal can see the item as delivered.

Secondly a buyer cannot cancel a completed payment, and its completed on THEIR end but paypal is holding the money.

You have no less seller protection than if the funds were in your bank account because if the buyer did open a dispute and won his money back then paypal would put your paypal account into negative until you paid them back again.

And you need to check up on what real auction houses charge in fees as it makes paypals very reasonable. I would rather get more buyers that increases my auction price by using paypal and pay the fees than it not sell at all or sell for a lower amount.

Feel free to stop using paypal but as a buyer I would not pay any other way and if a seller does not offer it then they would not get my custom.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gkinghrn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you but I still consider the withholding the money for UP TO 21 Days to be a money making thing.. The amount here wasn't huge and I am very regular PayPal user so no excuse not to just pay it straight over... 

The fee is, in my opinion, far too high at some 3.5'ish % in these days of low interest rates,,.. Again making too much money in my opinion.

I'll take a cheque next time and save myself the best part of £10 in fees thank you very much... 

@kernowlass wrote:

@Gkinghrn

Firstly its not 21 days always, if you send trackable then the funds are released earlier if paypal can see the item as delivered.

Secondly a buyer cannot cancel a completed payment, and its completed on THEIR end but paypal is holding the money.

You have no less seller protection than if the funds were in your bank account because if the buyer did open a dispute and won his money back then paypal would put your paypal account into negative until you paid them back again.

And you need to check up on what real auction houses charge in fees as it makes paypals very reasonable. I would rather get more buyers that increases my auction price by using paypal and pay the fees than it not sell at all or sell for a lower amount.

Feel free to stop using paypal but as a buyer I would not pay any other way and if a seller does not offer it then they would not get

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gkinghrn

Good luck with cheques, if that was all that was on offer for me as a buyer then you would  not be getting my custom as i would have no buyer protection.

And the new seller hold is for that buyer protection and as a seller i was quite happy to go through it if it meant my buyers were happy.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.