Paypal Unclaimed funds returned to buyer.

MF35
Contributor
Contributor

My son wanted to sell his ipod, With our help he signed up for an eBay account and a paypal account,

He  sold his ipod on ebay UK, It was his first time he had used ebay/paypal,

The ipod sold for around £50,

I have been using ebay/paypal for around 12 years with very few problems. He received payment straight away and we made sure he posted it the next day.

The guy received the ipod the next day and left excellent feedback.

As far as we were concerned all was well and he had the money in his paypal account ready to spend.

My son did not check his emails as he not a big computer user.

It wasn,t until about 6 weeks later when he wanted to buy something on ebay that we realised that the money had gone.

We did not realise/forgotten  he had to "Claim " the money and the funds were returned to the buyer, So the buyer has now got a free ipod and my son has to pay all the fees.

We emailed the buyer asking if he could resend the payment and unsurprisingly we had no response.

This was a few months ago now as my son has lost interest through the disappointment and disillusion in the system.

Is there anything we can do to retrieve the payment ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Russell

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

MF35
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, But it is not so much a clone thread as I have edited the thread slightly , and moved it to a more relevent location, as the previouse thread was on the US site.

Login to Me Too

dgharris007
New Community Member

The same thing happened to us.  

My wife does all the buying and selling on ebay and we created a paypal account in my hame linked to my email address.  When we bought something on ebay, we can see the cash being debited from our account but when my wife said she couldn't see any cash on the account I did some investigating.

it appeared evident that I needed to confirm my email address in order to receive funds.  Unfortuantely, the email letting me know this went directly to my Junk box, so I wasn't made aware of the fact we were not receiving monies for our sales.  

I contacted Paypay immediately and asked for a record of transactions that have bounced so that I can get in contact with the buyer directly, and they said they couldn't provide it.  I was amazed at the lack of response and so I'm going to take my complaint to the Ombudsman as I'm sure they will investigate the matter.

I don't believe we are the only ones to have fallen victims of this situation. 

David

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi dgharris007,

Welcome to our community.

This certainly sounds frustrating and I'd like to help.

When a buyer sends you a payment and your email address is unconfirmed, the payment will remain unclaimed for 30 days before it's reversed back to the sender.

As the payment would never have been received into your account, you would see no record of it and for privacy reasons, we wouldn't be able to reveal any information about the other accounts involved.

However, you should see a record of the eBay buyers who won the auctions through you eBay account.

Would you consider trying this approach instead and contacting those buyers through an eBay member to member message?

Conor

Login to Me Too

Ilikebigbutties
New Community Member
This same problem happened to me however the buyer was replying for a while telling me she was in contact with paypal as the money didn't appear back in her account and has now ignored me for over a month. After communication has broken down with the buyer what can I do?
Login to Me Too

Laxmansuthar
Contributor
Contributor

I Got email saying 330 euro sent by ...... on 21 july  and i made account on 30 july 2017 today even in 9 days Paypal saying money returned back to sender.

i do not understand what does it mean of 30 days in email saying claim till August 20 2017 . i claimed after 9 days . 

i have made an account and verified email . bt not got any money in my account.

suggest what me to do 

i have also informed sender bt no response received from them yet.

and i have provided service and they left our country also .

Login to Me Too

Laxmansuthar
Contributor
Contributor

I Got email saying 330 euro sent by ...... on 21 july and i made account on 30 july 2017 today even in 9 days Paypal saying money returned back to sender.
i do not understand what does it mean of 30 days in email saying claim till August 20 2017 . i claimed after 9 days .
i have made an account and verified email . bt not got any money in my account.
suggest what me to do
i have also informed sender bt no response received from them yet.
and i have provided service and they left our country also .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.