Payment was returned to the buyer because You haven't manually accepted or refused this payment

Ravenuk
New Community Member

Dear Community,

I must be not the first with the same problem, but I could not find similar situation described.

So, please give me piece of advice. Here is the situation:

I have sold the item on Ebay. I got the email saying, I received the payment from the buyer. I have sent the item to buyer. The buyer acknowledged he received the item and is satisfied with the state of the item. Then, one month later, I receive a e-mail from Paypal, that the payment has been returned to buyer, because I had to "manually accept the payment". I had no warning, that the payment could be returned, I did not even know I had to accept it manually.

I have tried to contact the buyer to convince him to accept a new payment request, but he is simply not replying my messages.

So now, I have no item, I have payed for shipping, I have payed all the Ebay taxes, but received nothing. Can You propose any ideas?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ravenuk

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ravenuk
New Community Member

Dear Kernowlass,

I have received the payment from the buyer, but it turns out I had to "accept the payment" on my paypal account. I had no idea it is necessary, therefore, after 1 month the Paypal returned the payment to the Buyer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ravenuk

Yes i know, that is the reason that i asked you to do as above, but if you don't want to thats no problem but i needed to rule out something first.

No problem, bye then.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ravenuk
New Community Member

Dear Kernowlass,

Thanks for Your support and sorry about my previous post. I checked the info You have asked me. My e-mail is correct without any spelling mistakes.

I do not know if this is important, but I also found out, that did not have confirmed, that I have received the payment from the buyer. The box near the item says "Mark as payment received" instead of "Sell similar". I have reached the sell similar button by pressing dropdown menu "More actions".

Looking forward to Your ideas.

Login to Me Too

tashaashbridge
Contributor
Contributor

how do you manually accept a payment?
I had received a payment and then a month later it was returned to the buyer. Luckily they were very understanding and resent the money but how do i prevent this happening again?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Tashaashbridge.

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like there was a dispute or claim opened on the payment that you had received. This would then have resulted in the payment being reversed back to the buyers account.

There is no way to prevent this from happening in future but you should review details of our Seller Protection Policy so that you can try to ensure that you are covered for further purchases that are sent to you through your PayPal account.

You can find more information here https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.