Paying a Seller Based in The Ukraine

1920FC
Contributor
Contributor

Recently purchased an item from a seller based in the Ukraine.

Attempted to pay via logging into my Paypal account through eBay and encounted the following restriction message:

> "Currently PayPal accounts in Ukraine are only able to send payments. This recipient is not eligible to receive funds."

> "At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to eBay and try another option."

Has anyone encountered a similar message?  

Any idea on how long this restriction will be in place?

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
52 REPLIES 52

mattwi4

So true! I like to support Ukraine's military with different charities and I also like to invest in Ukraine despite the risks because I really love this country and believe in Ukraine's future. International wires are so expensive at my bank when I could donate more.

Can someone make a list of other PayPal type websites that allow us to send to Ukraine? If I want to send my money to Ukraine and I am not permitted to do so then I am not going to simply choose a different country to send money to. PayPal has nothing to lose from me usin a competitior. Certainly, they could gain though if they allow me to send money to Ukraine.

Login to Me Too

dimitrivisser

I have very good experiences with https://transferwise.com/

The exchange rates are better than with Paypal. Their support is better than with Paypal. You can pay there with a creditcard (and other things) and the money gets transfered directly to Privatbank creditcards. Usually it takes 4-5 hours for money to arrive.

Login to Me Too

trjames
New Community Member

Why isn't PayPal providing a clear explanation of why payments do not work to the Ukraine?  Is it a software bug? Legal issue?  Software limitation? Please help!

Login to Me Too

mattwi4

have done business and purchased products from Ukraine a number of times with no problems so why not send money through PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Caribou
Contributor
Contributor

The situation is quite complicated, and neither PayPal nor ebay is doing anything to help.  At one time sellers in the Ukraine could receive PayPal payments.  Today I received an item from the Ukraine purchased by PayPal in April.  I bought another item in March, paid by PayPal, and received it fairly qujickly.

A few weeks ago I bought a third item from a Ukraine seller.  When I went to try to pay for it, PayPal rejected the payment.  Two inquiries to PayPal went unanswered.  An inquiry to eBay resulted in a reply telling me to contact PayPal..  I finally resolved my problem by sending cash by registered mail.  That is reasonably safe for small purchases but rather expensive.  However, I think sellers in the Ukraine have enough to contend with these days, and I did not want to see this one lose the sale

One of those most irritating things about the entire matter is that eBay continues to permit Ukraine sellers to list PayPal as an acceptable method of payment.  Sadly, I have stopped buying anything from Ukraine sellers at the present.  I have considered looking into Skrill and see if it permits payments to the Ukraine but have not done so yet.

If you are making a large purchase a bank wire is another possibility, but again the cost is high, probably around $50.00, and you need to make certain you have all the necessary information to get the payment to the seller's bank.  An insured registered letter is around $14-15, but the insurance is only for a little over $40.00

Login to Me Too

Kerlon
New Community Member
You can use money gram to send the money but it cost about 10 dollars
Login to Me Too

Caribou
Contributor
Contributor

I have not personally tried this, but I think PayPal is again accepting payments to the Ukraine.

Caribou

Login to Me Too

Rebellious
Contributor
Contributor

No, it still does not. Just tried sending 1 USD to my Ukrainian-based account and got a message the user was still unable to receive money.

Login to Me Too

Caribou
Contributor
Contributor

When I sent a third inquiry to PayPal I received a reply that money could be sent.  As I noted in my previous post,  i did not try to do so.  Ukraine eBay sellers are still listing PayPal as a way to pay, and it is possible that eBay requires them to do so.  In view of the fact that PayPal still will not accept payments for Ukraine sellers,  one has to wonder why these companies are conducting business in such a manner..  Where is their concern for their clients?   .

Login to Me Too

sligo
New Community Member

You can send money this time probably because seller has not ukrainian based paypal account. Some of them are using some mediator companies who receive payments,  accumulate and send money. Look at CCNOW for example. Some of them open paypal account abroad if they can. So seller based in Ukraine not always use ukrainian paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.