PayPal refunded buyer and never asked for return of product, time to close our account?

RSShipBoston
Contributor
Contributor

Someone please explain to me why on earth this was acceptable to PayPal. 

Buyer on eBay purchased high end electronic, item delivered with tracking, buyer leaves positive feedback.

One month later,  past our return timeframe,  buyer messages us on eBay stating he broke the item by accident and wants a refund. We say no,  sorry.  Buyer messages us saying he will take back money and keep item. 

Buyer opens a charge back via PayPal first. 

We respond with all our information, including the buyer admitting to being at fault.

Within 4 days PayPal refunds the buyer and does NOT bother to have our product returned.

We call PayPal and they say they will try to ask buyer to return item but no promises. 

Buyer messages us saying "we scammed you"

Buyer has false information on PayPal and eBay 

We call PayPal again to check on status, PayPal tells us go go file in small claims court.

PayPal did NOT leave case open for 10 days 

PayPayl violated their own policy by refunding prior to return of item.

Then we are told in order to get our earned money back we need to get a lawyer and take this non existent person to court.

We are not a tiny account. 

We do 5000.00 monthly with PayPal 

We have ongoing capital investment with PayPal 

We are solid clients with stellar reputation

Why is PayPayl stealing from us,  and if your going to say they are not stealing then why are they assisting with fraud? 

We will have no choice but to sue PayPal and PayPal choose NOT to simply hold the funds due to buyer non compliance. 

We are already moving our funds to a safer payment site,  however I would love an explanation.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RSShipBoston

Was it a chargeback rather than a paypal dispute??

If so then it was not decided by paypal. In the case of a chargeback the card company make the decision and paypal have no say in it apart from forwarded anything in your favour to the card company.

If it was a paypal dispute then paypal normally do tell the buyer to return the item (unless its fake or unsafe to do so), but card companies don't get involved in that side of things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RSShipBoston
Contributor
Contributor

From what I was told - at let the first time - that the buyer filed a chargeback with their bank - not PayPal.

While I can appreaciate that this was NOT done via PayPal, there is a good reason for that in that the buyer is scamming us and seems to understand how the chargeback process works very well.

Now I am told if I want my money - I need to take this person to court. I have begun drafting papers for this court case however if PayPal will not give me this persons real information, including the bank which this was sent from, I will have to take PayPal to court instead. 

While I can understand PayPal "does not get involved" honestly I am shocked.

PayPal is supposed to protect and cover us in every single transaction. 

Not only did PayPal allow this scam to occur, costing us both a product and money, PayPal actually charged us a fee to allow a scam to occur, and kept the sale fee as well. That is insane. 

You cannot charge someone for a service NOT provided. Its breach of contract. 

Not one person from my 5-8 phone calls to PayPal had one solid answer as to how I proceed with actions. I am NOT letting this go - this is NOT a cost of doing business - this is called THEFT 

The actual lack of any care reguarding this from PayPal is shocking. You can say well PayPal does not get involved - well thats funny I seem to recall them getting fairly involved by allowing this scammer to get a account and then collecting money from me from the sale - now the scammer attacks and PayPal is no where to be found in accountablitly. That is pathetic. 

We moved 80% of our business off PayPal yesterday and will completely be done with them by the end of June. PayPal has lost our business and we will do what we must in court or otherwise.

Off to court we go...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RSShipBoston

You should have the persons real name on the details of the transaction.

If they filed via their bank then it would have been done via their debit card so again paypal has no say in it.

Paypal did not allow the scam to occur, they could not do anything about it as it was done via the card issuer direct.

Paypal only give ''some'' seller protection it is never a 100% guarantee BUT that does not take away your legal right to go ahead with a small claims court action.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.