PayPal fees

louise44
Contributor
Contributor
Am I the only one that feels like they're being ripped off by PayPal and Ebay? Together these companies have managed to make a lot of money out of me selling my unwanted items on eBay. Wouldn't mind so much but it's not the seller that is protected by PayPal policies, no only the buyer is protected. So why the need for such a high PayPal fee? Ebay already take a whopping 10% of all sales, and then with greedy PayPal taking a cut of my money on top I feel as if all the profit, if any, has been stolen. I'm not a power seller just a regular mum with children trying to make a bit of extra pocket money. Seems unfair of PayPal to be cashing in like they do. As an Ebay seller I have no choice but to accept payments through PayPal!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@louise44

I to sell unwanted items.

However my view differs in that without ebay and paypal i probably would not sell the items anyway.

Tried to sell some items at a car boot sale and did not get anything like the money for them that i did when i listed them on ebay.....even after the fees.

Add that to the fact that not many buyers would send money to a stranger without paypal buyer protection and it means i am quids in.

Try selling at local auction houses and see the charges they charge you and it puts ebay / paypal in a better light.

I would rather pay the fees and sell the items than not sell them at all.

However if you sell large items you are allowed to refuse paypal and put "cash on collection" only on your auctions, I just sold 2 items that way but one paid with paypal anyway so i refunded him and then he turned up with the cash.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.