Nigeria PayPal Fraud

allurashannan
New Community Member

I was a very near victim of this Nigerian PayPal fraud, and I am so glad websites like this exsist!

I had been looking to sell my Sony Xperia J smart phone over Kijiji Canada for 175 dollars CAD.

I was contacted yesterday, through text, by a strange long distance number. They wanted to buy my phone and give me an extra 120 dollars for the item, so long as I mailed it to "his cousin going to school in West Africa." He(or she) was very naggy, and trying very hard to get the transaction moving as fast as possible, almost demanding my boyfriends PayPal account email. After sending the email address, we recieved an email in our junk folder (which should have been a red flag in the first place) from a strange email on BEHALF  PayPal ". It began with:

"This is an automated generated email from PayPal to inform  you that the total payment of  $280.00 CAD has been deposited into your account but still pending until you ship out the item and get back to us with the tracking or reference number for verification,before it will be release,and we like to remind you that the payment cannot be canceled for any reason because it has been in our record and it has been forwarded to our customer care for proper investigation.so kindly send out the item so that your account will credited immediately. "

The email seemed very real and legit to me, and also lead to say that if I did not send my phone now, that I would have the authorites called on me, and being unfamilar with PayPal and its policies, I agreed to sent the package. 

Of course upon further investigation the email was very sloppy, with many poorly constructed sentences and grammar use, and sounded very unprofessional.

I told the reciepiant that I would mail the package the next day, and they had agreed, but still seemed very pushy.

When I woke up this morning I had 7 missed calls and many text messages from this person, being very forceful and trying to make the transaction happen immediately. I found it very strange, yet I still went into the post office to look into mailing the requested package.

Thank goodness that my post office had caught wind of such fraud with sending to Nigeria, for it was them who highly suggested that I did NOT mail my phone, and enlightened me on what was happening. I decided that even if this wasn't a scam, I was not comfortable in finishing the transaction. I messaged the person back, letting them know what the post office had said, and that i was no longer comfortable with the situation, and that I believed it was a scam. They became very agitated, calling and messaging me over and over again.

After doing research on the internet and finding this site, I knew that this was absolutely a scam. I informed the reciepiant that I knew what was going on, and broke off any contact with this person. I have not recieved any messages back.

I tracked the phone number, and found that they were in Tony, New York.

This just goes to show how careful you need to be with selling your items online! Thank goodness for these kinds of websites!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

allurashannan
New Community Member

I was a very near victim of this Nigerian PayPal fraud, and I am so glad websites like this exsist!

I had been looking to sell my Sony Xperia J smart phone over Kijiji Canada for 175 dollars CAD.

I was contacted yesterday, through text, by a strange long distance number. They wanted to buy my phone and give me an extra 120 dollars for the item, so long as I mailed it to "his cousin going to school in West Africa." He(or she) was very naggy, and trying very hard to get the transaction moving as fast as possible, almost demanding my boyfriends PayPal account email. After sending the email address, we recieved an email in our junk folder (which should have been a red flag in the first place) from a strange email on BEHALF  PayPal ". It began with:

"This is an automated generated email from PayPal to inform  you that the total payment of  $280.00 CAD has been deposited into your account but still pending until you ship out the item and get back to us with the tracking or reference number for verification,before it will be release,and we like to remind you that the payment cannot be canceled for any reason because it has been in our record and it has been forwarded to our customer care for proper investigation.so kindly send out the item so that your account will credited immediately. "

The email seemed very real and legit to me, and also lead to say that if I did not send my phone now, that I would have the authorites called on me, and being unfamilar with PayPal and its policies, I agreed to sent the package. 

Of course upon further investigation the email was very sloppy, with many poorly constructed sentences and grammar use, and sounded very unprofessional.

I told the reciepiant that I would mail the package the next day, and they had agreed, but still seemed very pushy.

When I woke up this morning I had 7 missed calls and many text messages from this person, being very forceful and trying to make the transaction happen immediately. I found it very strange, yet I still went into the post office to look into mailing the requested package.

Thank goodness that my post office had caught wind of such fraud with sending to Nigeria, for it was them who highly suggested that I did NOT mail my phone, and enlightened me on what was happening. I decided that even if this wasn't a scam, I was not comfortable in finishing the transaction. I messaged the person back, letting them know what the post office had said, and that i was no longer comfortable with the situation, and that I believed it was a scam. They became very agitated, calling and messaging me over and over again.

After doing research on the internet and finding this site, I knew that this was absolutely a scam. I informed the reciepiant that I knew what was going on, and broke off any contact with this person. I have not recieved any messages back.

I tracked the phone number, and found that they were in Tony, New York.

This just goes to show how careful you need to be with selling your items online! Thank goodness for these kinds of websites!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

clone thread.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.