Nigeria Fraud

Circoloco
New Community Member
Dear ********* You have an Instant Payment of £350.00 GBP from wocdeluca(wocdeluca1&ymail.com) Payment Details Purchased From:********** Transaction ID : JX432687HE2365315 Item Number Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal 20090745677 Apple iPhone 4S - 16 GB - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone 1 £300.00 GBP £300.00 GBP Shipping & Handling via Royal mail"" to 234XX : (includes any seller handling fees) £50.00 GBP Shipping Insurance (not offered): ---- Total: £350.00 GBP Delivery Information Address: Abiodun John 76,Olayinka Street Ijeshatedo,Lagos 23401,Nigeria Address Status: Confirmed Important Note: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment bar code/tracking number sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Contact the PayPal service team who handled this transaction at: paypa-inc-uk@consultant.com immediately with the shipment reference number so we can credit your account.. **PLEASE NOTE** Once item has been shipped and the bar code tracking number has been sent to us you will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" from PayPal® Team informing you that your PayPal account has been credited. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team Copyright © 1999-2013. PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.á r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., Société en Commandite par Actions. Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349. PayPal Email ID PP307 Second Email Dear **********, Sequel to the email we sent you subjecting the recent funds being paid into your account, we write to confirm that you have a pending payment of £350.00 GBP paid in by (wocdeluca) being paid for your item that you sold on eBay, item number: 20090745677. You have been asked to provide the shipment number, which is the bar code tracking number which will be issued to you after posting the item. The £350.00 GBP was paid in by the buyer for the item including the postage cost to the Nigerian address that is why you have a pending payment of £350.00 GBP, you are therefore required to provide us with the bar code tracking number so that we can credit your account. Thank you for using PayPal for your online transactions! The PayPal Team.
Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

olufunminiyi
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I hope you havent taken any action yet on this. 

I'll tell you what i think, and perhaps for anyone else who reads. There are some very obvious things you should look out for.

1. Paypal will most likely not endorse a reference to a Nigerian address, for obvious reasons. I am yet to be aware that Paypal accepts Nigerians.

2. The follow up mail is too descriptive and too explanatory for a follow up mail by Paypal. All of the details should be something you can see for yourself without needed explanations.

4. It simply doesnt make sense. 

3. This is a template I've seen before. It has been used several times before and I didnt even need to read to the end to know its contents.

4. I know because I am a Nigerian.

Login to Me Too

zenkoz
New Community Member

I did receive similar think from PayPal and unfortunatelly i have send a Samsung Galaxy S3 to Lagos in Nigeria and i have never get the money.What i should do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry nothing you can do, you should never send anything unless the money is showing in your paypal account balance.

Paypal can't help as the transaction had nothing to do with paypal and was not processed through the site.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Shakka69
New Community Member
I have had the same problem but mine was local actually waited outside his house tonight. Could do with advise on the matter as I don't think the police could give a **bleep** and paypal haven't been that helpful which is understandable I suppose as it's not their fault... If I sent it to an address somebody must have access to it to get the red note that gets posted as you have to have that to retrieve the package from the post office so somebody must have access to the property and he must have a form of photo I'd to withdraw the package from the post office
Login to Me Too

akhilpatel16

i got in to the same scam. i tried selling my phone on Kijiji and i got this text from the guy. i was little bit suspicious so i started searching online, and i got aware of this scam. So when i close the deal with this guy i provide him my email adress which is not linked to "paypal". And here comes the surprise part i got an email from "Pay Pal" and saying i have recived the funds enter traking number so paypal can release the fund. its an obvious scam and than i talk to my buyer and tell him its an old concept bring something new. this time you became fool not me, i said i don't have paypal account i knew about your scam and this time you got cought. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

ih8rust
New Community Member

Thank's to all I was one click away from this fraud or should I say one minutes away from the post office where my ipad mini would be gone forever with out payment 

Thank's again 

Login to Me Too

dadonapo88
Same here, but I realise immediately was something wrong, I mean come on pay pal keep your money till the delivery it's been confirmed but they show you on the balance of your pay pal account... stupid Nigerian mother **bleep** Dear dado88davide, You received a payment of £520.00 GBP from 6623martha(martha.elmorehoustone12 @ outlook .com) Thanks for using PayPal. You can now send any items. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account. This item is eligible for Seller Protection. Don't forget to: Send the item to the delivery address below within 24 hours. Please note: items delivered in person or to a different address are not covered by Seller Protection.Use a trackable proof of delivery. Important Note: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment bar code/tracking number sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Buyer 6623martha martha. elmorehoustone12 @Outlook .comNote to seller The buyer hasn't sent a note.Delivery address – confirmed Bright Ike 44,Olayinka Street Ijeshatedo,Lagos 23401,Nigeria Shipping details Royal Mail International signed for   DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmountSamsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F (Latest Model) - 16 GB - Shimmery White (Unlocked)... Item Number 281458603503£520.00 GBP 1£520.00 GBPPostage and packaging£0.00 GBPInsurance - not offered----Total£520.00 GBPPayment£520.00 GBP Payment sent to xxx@ hotmail .itQuestions? Please reply to this email. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive a response. For assistance, contact PayPal customer care at: service@ paypayverification .co. uk or or on +44 708 764 4286 between 8 am. - 6:30 pm. Monday to Friday. 12 pm - 6 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Immediately with the bar code / tracking number so we can credit your account. Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349
Login to Me Too

Hi All

Thanks for the heads up. I too was very close to sending an item I was selling on ebay.

I had a buy it now option and a user under the name usgrac-u9frsm3x and then as Mrs Grace Cole bought the item out right through ebay. 

I noticed something wasn't right when I saw the ebay user account had been set up the same day as me putting it up and them buying it. 

I received a message from the user asking if I could send more pictures and that they would like it sent to an address in wales. 

I investigated further and thought maybe this was a coincidence so contacted the buyer asking who it was for and why they were based in the U.S.A but wanted it sent to an address in the UK.

The reply then asked to have it sent to a Nigerian address saying it was for "her" "sons" birthday and that they had made a payment through paypal and that the payment would only show up once I sent the tracking number to them. I then got a fake paypal payment receipt which came through to my junk mail. 

This is when I knew it was definitely a scam and googled the email address it was sent from. Which was transactionconfirmations (at) consultant.com.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF ALL THESE DETAILS FOR YOUR SECURITY IN THE FUTURE. 

My girlfriend was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggested I send it, so it is easily done and I wasn't sure for a while either. 

Hope this helps anyone in the same position. I've used the email address as a tag as this is what confirmed the fraud for me. 

Cheers

Login to Me Too

davidovari
New Community Member

Same here, fake paypal confirmation and nigerian address, same Grace Cole name, same everything, reported it everywhere I could.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.