New seller , buyer cant pay with paypal

hengirl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, The buyer of my item has told me to relist item as he is having trouble paying through paypal.

He won the item on the 6th of April, contacted me a day later and then told me yesterday.

The item was listed on the free listings over easter.

Does this warrent a strike against him ?  He did ask about the price of the postage in his first email which made me wonder if  he didn' t want to pay.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did he say what the problem was when he tried to pay?

Can you do this just to double check that he could pay >

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hengirl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I went into the sell similar and looked in the selling preferences,  was this the section you asked me to check ?

It said method - paypal and my email address and item location , both were correct no spelling mistakes.

In his first email to me he had said that paypal wouldn' t let him pay as I would not ship to his address.

I have checked my posting restrictions and I have none, the boxes are un ticked, also I had sold an item a week or two before and the buyer paid straight away with no problems and I posted the item, he was in the uk. 

This buyer also asked  in his first email if the postage was £4.00 which seemed strange as it is stated on the listing as £4.00.

Login to Me Too

stuffystuff
Contributor
Contributor

Can you do this to see if your buyer really can't pay as you don't ship to his address.

On Account setting scroll down to Site Preferences.

Scroll down to Buyer Requirements.

On right hand side click show

Click on Buyer Requirements Activity Log.

If buyer can't pay you as you don't ship to his address his user name will be there.

If you still want to sell your item to him tick the box next to his name and allow payment (or something like this).

Your buyer should then be able to pay you and you can send a message telling him that.

He may of course have just change his mind.  Remember ebay gives buyers 4 days to pay before you can set up a dispute.  

Login to Me Too

hengirl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I did what you suggested and in the buyer requirements activity log there is nothing, no name.

So I guess he had changed his mind.

Do I just leave it and relist or do I put a claim in?

Login to Me Too

stuffystuff
Contributor
Contributor

I would put a claim in - its not your fault the buyer has changed his mind that's his problem he shouldn't have said he wanted it if he didn't.  Then add him to your blocked bidders list.

To add him to your blocked bidders list

Go to Customer Support at top right hand side

Type in How do I block a bidder

Click on Managing Bidders and Buyers under Related Help on right hand side

Click on Blocking Bidders and Buyers and follow instructions

To open a dispute for unpaid item

Click Resolution Centre at bottom of most ebay pages.

Click I haven't received my payment yet and continue

Follow instructions

Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

hengirl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for all your help,  can I put in a claim if the item was put on a free listing ?

Still very new to selling on ebay so not sure what is the correct thing to do.

If I put in a claim can I relist the item ?

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

stuffystuff
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you can  put a claim in if it was on a free listing.  Once you open up an unpaid item case, ebay will tell you when you can come back and close the item I think it is a minimum of about a week (haven't had to do it for a while) to give your buyer a chance to pay you.  If your buyer pays you then send the item as usual.  If your buyer doesn't pay you, ebay will credit you your final listing fee and then you can relist your item.  Don't relist your item until your buyer either pays you or you close the unpaid item case.  If your buyer doesn't pay, he will get an unpaid item strike against him.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Login to Me Too

hengirl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your email.

Yes this has helped me, I have put in a claim and shall wait. Just wasn't sure about putting in an unpaid claim.

Guess he could do this to other sellers if the bid he wins went to high.

Just couldn't see why paypal would stop him paying and not the previous buyer.

Thanks again for your help.

Login to Me Too

stuffystuff
Contributor
Contributor

The reason he said paypal wouldn't let him pay is just an excuse.  I expect he's used it before and it has worked so he probably thought it would work again.  Add him to your blocked bidders list so he can't do it to you again.  You now have to go to the trouble of relisting your item again if he doesn't pay and paying to list it (if you don't do it on a free listing weekend).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.