NIGERIA SCAM

pupi88
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

On saturday I listed 2 items on ebay and on Sunday morning were sold to a buyer in America. She emailed me (Cynthia) right away asking for my paypal address. I emailed her from my private email address. Then on Sunday night I received an email from ebay saying that these 2 items were removed because the buyer's account was suspicous. In the morning I woke up with an email from the buyer saying that she knew why ebay protected both of us from a scam bla bla bla it was her daughter who has to log in and she actually bought them for a friend in Nigeria and now the address was Africa instead of America. At the meantime I was receiving emails from ebay and paypal(both fake one) saying: your items are now re-listed please ship them. You have received a payment of $ 900 but you will see your money once we get a track number. I did not ship my items but Cynthya keep emailing me. I don't know what to do. 

Please help!!!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pupi88

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Just email x1 more, tell her you know its a scam and won't be sending her anything.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pupi88
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your answer. Also I contacted eBay team and they said they never re listed my items. What should I do if the buyer keeps contacting me on my private email? Thanks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pupi88

Just mark one of the emails as 'spam' and they should just go straight into your spam folder and you can forget about them, they will give up eventually when they realise you are not going to take the bait.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.