Money Not In My Paypal Account

mista_t
Contributor
Contributor

So basically I sold an item on eBay, I am a new seller and it was my first item. I received an email from PayPal stating that the buyer had paid me the correct amount.

However, the money is not showing in my PayPal account as being held or anything - it just isn't there. There is no record of any transaction on PayPal. eBay also says that no payment has been made.

I hadn't validated my email address as it said in the foot of the PayPal email but I did this and hours later the money still isn't there.

Is this just a case of money being held by PayPal or is it some other issue? Thanks

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mista_t

First do this >>

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mista_t
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that and the email address was correct 😞

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mista_t

OK its VERY odd that paypal would have sent you an email but its not showing in your ebay or paypal account.

Are you sure the email was not a spoof?

Its not going to Nigeria or somewhere is it? Is it a pricey item?

Can you give some details?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mista_t
Contributor
Contributor

Well the item is really not valuable at all (a broken graphics card that sold for ~£5). Looks like it's to be sent to a UK address.

The Paypal email seemed legit: had the buyer's name in it and the correct amount of money that I invoiced the buyer for. It came from a paypal.co.uk email address.

Here's the main body of the email:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

************** sent you £9.49 GBP

Transaction ID: **************

Dear **************,

Just thought you'd like to know ************** sent you £9.49 GBP.

Reversal

Please be aware that your payment can still be reversed, (e.g. if it is subject to a chargeback), even after you have sent the item to your buyer. Complying with PayPal's Seller Protection and following the trading guidelines given on our Security page helps to protect you from things like chargebacks.

Once the money's there you can:

Spend the money online at thousands of shops that accept PayPal.

Transfer it to your bank account (takes 2-3 days).

Transfer the money to a credit card.

Don't see the money in your account?

If you haven't confirmed your email address with us yet, you won't see the money in your account until you do. Confirm your email address now (You'll need your confirmation code: )

When that's done, the money will show up in your PayPal account and you'll be able to see the complete payment details. (It sometimes takes a few minutes.)

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mista_t

OK 3 things confuse me on that email, maybe you can clarify.

1. My receipts for payments are similar but not exact, but then i have not sold since the ebay / paypal separation so that may explain it.

2. You are talking about pounds sterling ie £9.49 BUT further on in the email it says about you transfer it to a card or a bank account BUT in the UK  you can't transfer to a card !!!! So if you are in the UK why would that be in there?

3. Are you in the UK?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mista_t
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am in the UK

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mista_t

OK then to be honest if ebay have not said they have paid then i would not be sending anything out.

I have no idea why it is not showing. IF the buyer had paid but you needed to claim it etc it would still show as paid on ebay.

I would contact the buyer and see what it says at his end in his paypal account >>

1. Completed.

2. Unclaimed.

3. Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Then come back as that will give us a clearer picture.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.