Is it safe to sell virtual currency?

AmyH1993
Contributor
Contributor
I have hundreds of pounds worth of credits on a game I used to play called Habbo Hotel and would like to sell my virtual currency preferably on eBay. If I record while trading for proof and the buyer tries to scam me claiming I haven't given them their goods will I be safe by recording for proof? I don't want people to scam me knowing that PayPal will refund them and they get to keep the credits! What's the safest way to sell virtual currency? Thanks!
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi AmyH1993,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum.

Digital items are not covered under the Seller Protection Policy. If the buyer was to open a claim against the transaction we would not be able to assist you with this.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

AcesGuatemala
New Community Member

What would be considered valid proof that bitcoins have been sent to your buyer?

If you showed the transaction leaving your digital and recieved into the buyers wallet via the block chain transaction ledger  available www.blockchain.info would that show the required proof that PayPal needs?

Or else why would eBay allow sellers to sell bitcoins, but offer them no seller protection.

Login to Me Too

Jamier88
New Community Member

@PayPal_Siobhan2

I've just been told the oppisit of this on a phonecall with a Manager. (Also recorded the call once letting them know I was recording this call)

I have called as I purchased a virtual currency on a game and the game goes off every 5-10 minutes.

I Spoke to the owner of the game advised him I wanted to excecute my 14 days rights and he laughed, After some discussion he asked for my ingame name and to dispute the two payments with a note he gave me so he could find them and refund me. After I did this he banned me from the game and blocked me on discord (How we communicated)

Disputes -

PP-006-413-026-332 - Dispute 1

PP-006-413-022-876 - Dispute 2

The manager on the phonecall told me that paypal "have their own laws" I said really? she contiuned to defend this and said the buyer will NEVER be covered? 

I've been on both ends of this and I've been told the seller is now covered when I was the seller and now I've been told the buyer is not covered on the buyer side.. So I've recieved the "crap side" of the deal twice now.. Can you please shine some more light on this siutation? I'll also be sending the other people who have also been scammed by this game server.

Login to Me Too

Jamier88
New Community Member

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Jamier88,

Yes, the policy has been updated since my last post in February. In order to discuss the policy and any open claims you may have please contact our Customer Support team by phone on 0800 358 7911. Alternatively you can reach out to us on Facebook - www facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter - @AskPayPal and we would be happy to advise.

Thanks

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.