I think this is fraud?!

tammm_124
As a first time seller I had advertised in Ebay an expensive phone for sale ' buy it now's I received a message on eBay from ijojoa5 who said.... New message from: ijojoa5 (0) Hello, I want Urgent purchase of this Xperia Z3 right now, What is condition & your best final asking price, message me on Joaksim AT outlook.com for quick response Won't be able to reply on eBay as am busy at work, email me only Joaksim AT outlook.com is my email, just arrange it properly Also need your phone number or email for quick message Get back ASAP....... So I did email him and he said he wants to buy this phone for his friends in Nigeria as a gift to write on the packaging...A GIFT FROM YOUR FRIEND.. First I thought that was sweet abs this guy said he's made a payment after I sent a request on PayPal which he said..... I have just made the payment to you via Paypal now and I also paid Paypal charges and postage fees to ensure you get full payment. Kindly ship the item to my friend address through Royalmail International Signfor Small Packet Registered No Exception as soon you receive Confirmation email from Paypal check both your inbox and junk mail for Paypal messages... This was strange because none of PayPals emails went to spam except the confirmation of payment made. Which still shows pending on my PayPal. I contacted PayPal spoof@PayPal.com who said it was fraud
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yep this one has been going for years, just check the threads on this board or google paypal / nigeria.

THIS IS A TYPICAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jcous22
New Community Member
So glad I have just read this message although I wouldn't have sent anything till I saw the money in my account. Got exactly the same email with a phone number that I texted. Thought it sounded dodgy with the don't email me through eBay but ok to email to the other address. Not had a reply yet as it was only an hr ago, but feeling annoyed that whoever it is now has my phone number and hoping that doesn't cause me any problems. Cheers for your posts.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.