I have posted an item (I have proof) buyer is claiming refund from me

Hayley86x
Contributor
Contributor
I'm so upset! I have posted an item that was a reluctant sale in the first place. I have proof of postage receipt. The item was sent second class standard. The item was send to the address shown on eBay and PayPal. The buyer has said that they haven't received it and have opened up a claim with PayPal who have deducted £33 from my account (the full cost including shipping). The problem is, PayPal only let me enter a tracking number to prove that I have sent it. As it was send second class standard there is no tracking number. I do have the receipt but that is not an option to select on the response. I apologised to the buyer for Royal Mail losing their parcel and that they need to seek compensation from them. I sent a picture of proof of postage, so why are they still trying to claim from me? And why is PayPal allowing it?? Please help! 😞
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hayley86x

In the event of an item not received dispute the only way that paypal can tell if the buyer has received the item or not is by the tracking number.

You don't have to send it trackable but it is for your own protection to do so, as if the buyer raises an INR dispute you would lose without that tracking number.

Why should the buyer have the problem of claiming off RM? You were the one that sent it. And as you did not send trackable its unlikely the buyer would get more than a few stamps compensation anyway.

The buyer bought an item from you that they did not receive, if you bought an item from eg Amazon and it did not arrive would you be happy if Amazon stated ''we posted it'' the rest is up to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hayley86x
Contributor
Contributor
Ok then, I'll have to send all my items recorded in future. Excuse me for posting an item and obtaining a proof of postage receipt. In the past I have never blamed the seller if my items have been lost and have never deemed them responsible for shoddy postal service. I currently have ordered something that appears to have been lost as it had not arrived. I guess I'll have to open up a case against that seller, so they are item and cash down. I don't agree with it at all. If you as a buyer are happy to use a standard service and something goes missing, they should deal with that. I guess if eBay and PayPal don't see it this way then everything will have to be sent recorded. I'm not a business. I don't deserve to be out of pocket when I haven't done anything wrong!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hayley86x

Well personally i do not send everything trackable.

I send items above a certain cost trackable but everything else i take the risk but its my risk and not the buyers. So if an item is lost then I just refund the buyer, does not happen very often.

And it matters not one jot whether you agree with me or not as I don't make paypal rules I just abide by them the same as you have to do.

So what you are saying is that your buyer who has paid you good money to send them an item has to lose out just because you decided to send an item untracked.  Sorry but when i buy from sellers i expect a good service whether they are a business or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hayley86x
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for replying to me, I've found this very helpful. I have learnt my lesson and will take more care when selling on eBay. As it turns out I had a parcel of my own that hasn't turned up and have had to open up a case to get a refund unfortunately. I guess it's all swings and roundabouts.
Login to Me Too

Max_Huang
Contributor
Contributor

I just have the same problem!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.