Fraud!!

p7390
Contributor
Contributor

i was recently selling and ipod in ebay buy it now for £50 or for people to bid on it and someone called Nicolas Bennard bought it for £50 he did'nt put the payment into my paypal account so i emailed him asking if he still wanted it and he said yes he sent me and email saying this:

Hello,
         It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment of £90.00 via PayPal. I want it  to be sent to my cousin AS A birthday gift. I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United Kingdom, but I've gone for a business trip to Brazil,here is the delivery address. netbook acer espires one

NICOLAS DAVID
17 Oduduwa street
GRA Ikeja,
Lagos State
Nigeria.

Then after that i got and email saying payment has been approved please send us prove of payment. It said i had to send the item off and then send paypal the tracking number to prove that the item was on it's way then they would transfer the money into my paypal account so i sent off the item and sent the tracking number to paypal and the money still did'nt go in so i emailed the person 'nicolas bennard' and told him i had sent the item off and the money still wasnt in and i got an email back saying

hello thanks have you send the tracking number to paypal if so you have to be patient but for your security purpose do not send the tracking number to me on till paypal credit your account and paypal will send the tracking number to me thanks.

so i then emailed back saying no i want it in my account now i will report you and i hav'nt herd anything back from him since then.

i want something done about this aswell it sould'nt be aloud all the paypal emails he sent me had paypal head lines aswell it looked like paypal accounts.
Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey guys,

Thanks for all these examples of spoof emails you’ve received. Remember, to be covered for Seller Protection you must send the item tracked and to the address provided by us. Never send an item to a different address unless it’s on the transaction details. Also, we would not allow an item be shipped to Nigeria as we do not operate our services there.

For anyone that has been unfortunate enough to have sent an item to one of these addresses I would advise you to contact the courier and see if they can return the item.

Login to Me Too

jggerena

got the person trying to buy a laptop from me. what can i do, how to make him pay for this.

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the swift response, I would like to inform you that i have paid a sufficient amount of money for the order including the shipping cost to the address below. Kindly ship the order as soon as possible using USPS EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL because it's my son's Birthday present.

Below is the shipping address confirmed on my Paypal account while sending the payment for this purchase as my desired shipping address. I have fill in the below shipping address on my Paypal payment for confirmation..

Shipping Adress:
Name 😮 OLA
Street :

City :State :

Post Code:

Coutry:
Please take no offense as USPS EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL is my preference (Priority Mail Express).

Also i'd like you to insert a shorth note saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE,LOVE FROM DAD" also write on the parcel "PERSONAL GIFT ITEM FOR PRIVATE USE"

Thanks,
Regard
Marvin, R. 

Login to Me Too

cravensam
Contributor
Contributor

i had this from someone called zibyah and it was to go to a place in africa for her son she claimed it was his birthday i got an email fron paypal and ebay saying i was paid it was very realistic but nothing was in my funds this was for a mobile phone the only difference between a real ebay message and fake is the fake has no green verify badge at the side when listed emails appear in thr inbox but once opened they look duplicate t ebay they wanted the tracking number before payment i had a feeling it was a scam and i was right

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey jggerena,

This is a fake email and this person is a scam artist and is not going to pay you. You can forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com and then relist the item for sale.

Login to Me Too

cravensam
Contributor
Contributor

ANOTHER ONE IS CALED ZIBYAH BOUGHT A PHONE FROM ME TO NIGERIA BIRTHDAY GIFT PAY PAL CONFIRM AND LOT BUT IT WAS ALL FAKE EMAILS NO VERIFY BADGE LUCKILY NEVER SENT NOW I HAVE FAKE MAIL SAYING AL BE EBAY BANNED

Login to Me Too

tannernelson
New Community Member

I just sent a $600 iPad to that person. 😞 same address. 

I'm really hoping that because I wrote SouthernHood accidentally that it will be returned. 😞

Or maybe I can collect the insurance I purchased for it. So sad that people do this. 😞

Login to Me Too

gavin82
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal seem concerned looking at their response in this topic, yet I've just sold an item and they're holding my money untill the other person is happy and leaves positive feedback I have 100 percent feedback and I'm just wondering what happens if the buyer decides after 21 days (yes that's how long he's aloud) that he's bored of his new unopened factory sealed iPhone 4s so decides he wants a refund (saying something like the discription was wrong its broke etc) bearing in mind it was unopened, tell you what will happen is I'll be giving him a refund without any choice. And reed my topic which says payment held pending 21 days to see how they can beat PayPals systems.
Login to Me Too

ClarissaAGW
Contributor
Contributor

Another one is by someone called Anna Mills. Saying to send to this address:

Adewale Samson,
No 10, Tonade st,
Ikeja Lagos,
Nigeria.
Confirmed 
However I was being sent emails by 'paypal' or so I thought. I had the sign on the email, as you can see it can 'confirmed' under the address and it called me by my account name. I thought it was all legitimate. I have now posted the Blackberry and Parceforce says it is against the law to stop it. What shall I do?
Login to Me Too

ClarissaAGW
Contributor
Contributor

This is the actual email that I got from 'paypal':

"Dear Clarissa Wright,
A payment of £110.00 GBP has been made to your PayPal account (my email address was here) by Mrs Anna Hills for an eBay item #(300626389509), in which it will get into your PayPal account as soon as we verify and confirm that the item has been shipped within 24hrs. This confirmation is due to the new standard PayPal payment method adopt by PayPal. We request that you should send the item to the buyer's shipping address since she has made the payment to your PayPal account and the fund has been initiated to your account, otherwise the payment will not be credited to the account as specified. We need the item shipping tracking or reference number to verify the shipment of the item to the buyer's provided shipping address. Shipment tracking numbers should be send to our payMerchant: transactions details (at) europe (dot) come

This is to reduce the high rate of fraudulent activities going on eBay and to ensure that both buyers and sellers are satisfied, because it is all about our services to serve the worldwide, for the two parties to enjoy mutual benefits. Please follow the protocol of the payment so that the money will be credited straight away into your account. Respond to this mail within 24 hours and get back to us with the genuine reference number.It is on a very rare occasion that problem arise on eBay transaction and we are here 24hrs to make amendment if such occur. Your fund is safe and intact with PayPal.

***PLEASE NOTE***
THE BUYER OF THIS ITEM HAS REQUESTED THIS ITEM TO BE SHIPPED TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS BELOW:
BUYER'S SHIPMENT INFORMATION:

Adewale Samson,
No 10, Tonade Street,
Ikeja Lagos,
Nigeria.

Confirmed

ATTENTION! Only PayPal is eligible to information on Tracking Number, do not send the tracking number to the buyer after shipment until you have your account credited. This terms is to secure and to assure you a better safe transaction with the Buyer.
(Picure of name with 'approved' under it)

Do not hesitate to reply to this email. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive response as soon as we receive your message.
Thank you for using PayPal ® ................. We look forward serving your online auction payment needs in the future..
Sincerely,
Thomas Green
PayPal Customer Care
PayPal Email ID PP205

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal"
This is a scam right?!?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey there,

Unfortunately this is a fake email and was not sent by PayPal. We do not operate in Nigeria and it is not an option to choose for a shipping address. Also, if any payment was held pending receiving tracking then you would be able to see it on your account as being held.

Whilst there's nothing that PayPal can do in this instance, I would advise you to keep trying to work with Parcelforce to have the shipment stopped.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.