Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Garethw12
New Community Member
Got the same..told the Nigerian a fake shipping number and he never bothered me again. Also posted a toy £1 mobile Fone out to him just as gift lol
Login to Me Too

Cds1984
Okay so I have read everyone's stories and I'm wondering the same thing has happened to me but I'm not sure if it's real or not I need some help anybody can give me some information that would be great. The guy put the money in my account I got the email saying that it's there but I have to put in the tracking number in order for the money to be able to be released can anyone help me here what do I do is the money really there or is it fake need help any information would be great also is there any way to send them a fake tracking number to make sure it's not a scam
Login to Me Too

janeyjane
Contributor
Contributor
hi iv just had this lots of emils for a priv et ssle of s phone an emil of paypall saying founds thire just wont release them till have tracking nu . my itsm is still on for sale as iv not end the sale .
Login to Me Too

maxx2
Contributor
Contributor

any chance you can translate that into English ?

Login to Me Too

marketmaster24
Contributor
Contributor
It's fake, the person is a scammer, there sending you spoof emails and phishing emails that claim to be from legit people or companies. Go check your PayPal account right away and if you don't see the money in your account or it actually saying pending in PayPal then don't send the money or give them anything. There professional scammers and this is what they do. They do it to other people not just only you so keep all the information you have from them and save everything for evidence. If you find out there's no money, report it to the police, the FBI website, PayPal and everyone that's involved.
Login to Me Too

mvpjordan
New Community Member

The same **bleep** happened to me just now. I sent off my camera and never got my payment. I got all these fake emails from paypal and it had my full name and all. I reported them to the FBI. I felt something fishy whenever i get something from people in africa or Nigeria. They are the biggest scammers. I got an email from "Paypal" saying that i have a limit on my paypal and the person sending the money needed to send extra money in order for me to receive my full funds. I called paypal to see about this limit and they said they sent no such payment. I had no paypal insurance on my item i shipped off and i couldnt stop it from being delivered once it left the states. I wont say what email or the persons name cause i want them to get caught but my money and camera is gone. I wish torcher, bad health and thief  on these peoples lives and i want my camera and money back. Never will never again send anything to nigiera. They will scam you every time. Even those who come on FB wanting to be your friend. They pretend to like and "love" you then tell you about some sob story for you to send them money. Scammers!!! I hope they get beat, burned and die. Honest people like me dont need this, i worked too hard to get anything stolen from me. I hope the FBI can find them and make them give me my stuff back. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mvpjordan

The FBI does not have any jurisdiction out of your own country and certainly not in Nigeria.

Secondly they use hijacked or throwaway email addresses and fake names and work out of anonymous internet cafes normally.

However just be aware  >>
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Riverisland
I got frauded all because I had emails in my paypal account and the email the fraudsters use is the exact same as paypal, with their logo etc. saying Sequel to the email we sent you subjecting the recent funds being paid into your account, we write to confirm that you have a pending payment of £325.00 GBP paid in by (burac1995) being paid for your item that you sold on eBay, item number: 231026075168. You have been asked to provide the shipment number, which is the bar code tracking number which will be issued to you after posting the item. The £325.00 GBP was paid in by the buyer for the item including the postage cost that is why you have a pending payment of £325.00 GBP, you are therefore required to provide us with the bar code tracking number so that we can credit your account. Thank you for using PayPal for your online transactions! The PayPal Team. Reported it to ebay, paypal and the police. Dont think anything will come of it but atleast its reported it so buyers pls beware.
Login to Me Too

ndoran
New Community Member
The emails from 'paypal'. Always the senders email as they look like real paypal emails to confirm payment but they are from a made up address similiar. Also check out suspicioms and forward the email to spoof. You will recieve emails asking you send the item to another country and that they will pay the charge of 100 extra. I nearly got scammed through it and one 'women' under brenda karen is currently trying it now!!
Login to Me Too

brookierusso

I just got myself in the same situation... and realized this person has the zip code 23401. After reading all these comments, i realized I was caught in a scam. I only got as far as the email for the money to be deposited to me. I am selling a prom dress and was asked to ship to Surelere, Lagos Nigeria. I have only recieved the paypal transaction email to my personal email from the purchaser. Am i safe? Or have they already hacked my account. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.