Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Robert_Dinca
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a similar problem, this time I was contacted for a local listing I was selling .... my MacBook Pro. The nigerian had a story that he is traveling through London in a business trip and wants to purchase a laptop for his cousin in Nigeria.

His address and name:

Name: (Post edited by Moderator)
Address: (Post edited by Moderator)
City: (Post edited by Moderator)
State: (Post edited by Moderator)
Zip-code: (Post edited by Moderator)

Phone number: (Post edited by Moderator)

I would encourage you all to send a message to the local police in Nigeria: 
policemonitor [at] npf . gov . ng
http://npf.gov.ng
https://www.facebook.com/ngpolice

Login to Me Too

Rashimotosan
Contributor
Contributor

I am so glad I found this. It just wasn't sitting right with me and then I kept thinking "well he's the one offering the money, how do I get scammed out of this." I sent the request but then canceled it because none of it was sitting well. I immediately asked him what address his kid lives at and once I saw the Lagos, Nigeria, address, I kindly told him I can't ship there and that I've experienced too many scams in that region. He politely apologized for bothering me saying he can't find my name and email anywhere. Then proceeded to keep blowing up my inbox. I told him if he was that desperate I could change my auction to a Buy It Now listing at his agreed price and he could do it that way. He told me his bids weren't going through. I'm so glad I caught this forum. PayPal and eBay need to flag these people. I'll be reporting him but I'm sure there will be another to take his place. 

Login to Me Too

Rashimotosan
Contributor
Contributor

Oh his ebay username is kggjk-otizg3q0.

He claims he needs to send a package to his kid via overnighted for his birthday. Address was 
Victor <removed>
<removed>
<removed>
Surulere 101014
Lagos Nigeria.

Login to Me Too

Rashimotosan
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure why moderator is blocking fake names and addresses? These are scams people should be made aware of and PayPal doesn't exactly have a forum for reporting fraudulent eBay buyers. Maybe work on that more rather than censorship...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rashimotosan

The reason they remove names is because these scammers don't use 'their' names, they hijack ebay i.d's and email accounts and so use those names.

So you may well be posting an innocent persons name on a public forum that may be trying to regain access to their i.d. accounts.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

re4sa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys and gals,

I have the same problem. I sold my artikel to a person who is supposedly from the UK. (His account is new and has no history on ebay).

Item is sold for 550e.  After two days of waiting to cash payment, I have received following email:

‘‘Hello seller,Sorry for inconvenience of this transaction and late payment and i have made the payment of EUR 650,00 include shipping and insurance cost via REGISTERED POST to the address of my UNCLE who just got a job at UNICEF in Nigeria and i have been notified by PayPal that the confirmation has been sent to you.Kindly have the item ship out unfailingly this morning to the address given to you in Nigeria and i want it well packed and declare the item as a Gift and as soon as the item shipped out this morning get back to paypal with shipment tracking number.

SHIPPING ADDRESS:

Abiola K.
<removed>
Agege Lagos
Nigeria.

As soon as the item shipped out this morning email me as well.

Thanks.‘‘

On my ebay account stay that I have 550e but Zero on my PayPal.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Damir
Login to Me Too

re4sa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the prompt reply! Much appreciated!

Do you know what's the next best step to do now, to whom and how to report it?

Sincerely,

Damir

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@re4sa

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and may ask you to send the item internationally often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.
They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

re4sa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!

This is exactly what happend, and still happening.

I have reported him to ebay, and now I am waiting for response.

I have also received mails that looks same as PayPal mails, but they are obviously scam. I am trying to find a way how to report that to a Paypal, but can't find how to send them an email. Hopefully this will help somehow.

Fortunately I haven't sent package nor I plan to. It's shame because I lost couple of good offers by real buyers due this fraud but I really hope it will be everything solved.

Ten minutes ago, he send me one more mail marked as ‘‘urgent‘‘ in which he says how important is that I send this Package during this morning.

I ignored him.

Anyone has an idea how to inform PayPal about fake PayPal emals? 

Thanks again,

D

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.