Fraud, Nigeria

gdowling1992
New Community Member

WATCH OUT!!!
Fraud from 23401 Nigeria.

Have rang so many companies and nothing can be done even if you have insurance.  Never send to Nigeria.  Ever. You lose your money. I have lost 340GBP

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

asterix83
New Community Member

I have a phone for sale on eBay. I live in Germany and I also received the following email today: "Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm very interested, I am ready now as a gift for my daughter and I wil make a reasonable offer € 150

buy, you pay the shipping and I love going to pay you via Paypal or bank transfer, as its fast and

safe and also recommended to carry out the government online transactions. Please calculate the total cost, including the

Returns Preis- www.corrioes.com.br. Please check the booked boat trip and back to me you get when interested

please take in your next email with your Paypal e-mail and name of the payment ...

Ok, here's the address

Name: <removed>
Address: <removed>
City: <removed>
State: <removed>

Calculate the shipping costs and let me know how I'm going to the cost of the added shipping.

I wait to read from you" Normally as I get that it is a scam Smiley Happy))) 

Login to Me Too

DrDoogie40
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to say I used to use ICONIX but they have diffrent ideas now, ye just be carfull of the countrys most talked about and submit supect mail

Login to Me Too

angrylondoner

i recently sold a phone on ebay for £60 and was asked to send to nigeria . like a fool i sent it as the paypal emails looked legitimate . having spoke to paypal and finding they are not had mad me angry at how stupid i have been . the parcel will ultimutly be sent as i can stop the parcel with royal mail as its too late apparently . im sure this is a harsh lesson to be learnt for all so i have uploaded a few details to try and prevent it .

any thing to nigeria

postcode of 23401

anything as a gift for someone else 

Login to Me Too

New1988land
Contributor
Contributor
Angrylondoner did you not get cleared payment before sending? I would never send anything without receiving payment. Sorry u got scammed there are some nasty people out there 😞
Login to Me Too

kelty

was contacted after placing an ad on gumtree intially via phone then by email asking if item still available and what end price was,   thought it was odd asking price when it was clearly stated on the ad but sent email back with price of item and they agreed to buy it and they would arrange for shipping. woke up this morning to an email stating they had put the money into paypal plus an extra hundred for the shipping (alarm bells went off at this) and that the shipping company would contact me to arrange collection, first thing i did on seeing this was check my paypal account to see if payment had been made...and of course there was nothing showing as pending, then i received tthe email from the shipping company and it was only at this time i discovered it was to be sent to nigeria(massive alarm bells going off now)

Name:Alade <removed>
Address:<removed>
<removed>
State:<removed>
Zip code:23402

back into paypal to check out the forums and thank god i did it has saved me from becoming yet another victim. 

Login to Me Too

JulieMcVey14
New Community Member

This Happened to me also..

basically i was selling an item on ebay..

I then recieved an email from a man named Datson <removed> claiming he lives in london and he would like to buy the item, i was obviously thinking about sending it to london because a didn't think anything to it. he then messaged me claiming he had now sent the money BUT i was to now send the item to ..  bola <removed>.    I then told him the only reason a would send the item was only i a recieved an email from paypal and if a seen the money in my account.. I then got a nasty email. I phoned up paypal and they told me it was a fake and not to have anymore contact with the person so i then stopped talking to the person..

Two days later i recieved a text message on my phone saying the man michael was interested in my item.. he also told me he was from london.. a was a bit aware because of what happened a couple days before.. I told if and when i recieve payment i would send the item first thing! he sent me an email with a reciept saying he paid for the item but i checked my profile each day to see if money had been credited but as him and the first guy told me that paypal would credit the money into my account when a sent the barcode and send the item.. i then asked his address and was also Nigera, 

Adams <removed>
<removed>
<removed>
Nigeria

soon as a seen him saying Nigera a told him am very sorry but a wouldn't be sending the item he then sent me a abusive message so i blocked his email..

then i recieved another email from another man from 'london' but was to send it to nigera ! same sinareo..

Just be aware guys ! never send ANYTHING unless you have the payment into your account!!!

Login to Me Too

Imran_2
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME TODAY.EXACT SAME ADRESS AND LOCATION BUT A DIFFERANT NAME. I PUT AN ADD ON GUMTREE AND THE PERSON TOLD ME ILL PAY VIA PAYPAL, HE ASKED ME ALOT OF QUESTIONS THEN I GOT 2 FAKE PAYPAL EMAILS CLAIMING THAT HE INSTANT PAID ME WHAT A LOAD OF ******** AFTER HE TOLD ME HE WANTED ME TO SEND THE ITEMS TO NIGERIA I SHOWED HIM A PICTURE OF ONE OF THESE COMMENTS WITH HIS ADDRESS AND DETAILS AND NOW HE STOPPED REPLYING TO MY EMAILS WHAT AN *******
Login to Me Too

timkiln
New Community Member

I "sold" a gold coin on ebay last night (12/8/2014).  I recived a genuine notification email from ebay  telling me the item had been bought by a <removed>, the address provided to send the item to was: <removed>.  e-mail address:

I sent the invoice as indicated and then received an e-mail apparently from "PayPal." informing me that I'd received an instant payment from Michael <removed>, but that "funds will be hold ny PayPal until you get the item shipped out now and get back to PayPal with the shipment tracking number for verification. Thanks" 

I thought the e-amil looked suspicious, appart from the rubbish use of English grammar it just appeared fake. 

I then recived another e-mail from fake "PayPal" asking me to send the item to William <removed> of <removed>

Fake E-bay mailed me "You need to posted the item as soon as possible. So wer are urging you to complete the transaction and send the item to his son (Michael Jan's son I presume!) as your money has been deducted from his PayPal account and it has been confirmed by eBay."

What a load of bull.  The lying, thieving, dirty **bleep**.

Will EBay and PayPal do anything about this?  I doubt it - apparently this scam has been running for years reading the posts on here. **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

chrisasawyer
Contributor
Contributor

@gdowling1992 wrote:

WATCH OUT!!!
Fraud from 23401 Nigeria.

Have rang so many companies and nothing can be done even if you have insurance.  Never send to Nigeria.  Ever. You lose your money. I have lost 340GBP

"I am sorry for the late response, I have send the money and it has been deducted from my account, I need you to understand me that i cannot come for the item myself and this is the reason i introduce an pick up agent in this transaction, the money has been successfully deducted from my account and will reflect in your account once you send the money to the agent. I would have send the money to the agent myself but there is not Western Union at offshore here because the Pick Up company only accept Western Union as method of payment and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along and there is no western union office/outlet on the offshore. My pick up agent will come for the pick up but they will need to receive agent commission fee before they can come for the pick up and i have already added the agent commission fee to the payment i made to your account which paypal is holding...You have the full payment pending on PayPal data base, so as to verify that you are a Legitimate seller of the purchased item and you are to send 200 to the pick up agent before PayPal can credit your account,this is PayPal policies due to lot of fraudulent they are making their new step in order to protect both seller and the buyer the money cannot be refund back into my account because it has been hold by PayPal, kindly get the money send to the agent and send the money transfer details to PayPal customer care so they can release the funds into your account without no delay, hence the pick up will commenced, kindly get this done, so we can get thing rolling....." This person expected me, to give him £200 for agents fee, to go via western Union, for a car! & SAID, £600 Would be in my paypal account, as soon as I paid the £200.!!!

Login to Me Too

Afzo
Contributor
Contributor

This is the most tragic scam which happened to me last year of my Arctic Blue Samsung Galaxy S4 leaving me stranded for 9 months till I finally got my Samsung Galaxy S5. I've decided to sell it to produce money for the S6 and the worst scam I've seen has just run through. 

This was the proposed address to post to as follows:

Shipping Information

Nigeria.
Shipping Method: UPS Express.
Address Status: Confirmed 

The message sent read:

"

You've Got Cash!

This email confirms that you have received a payment for £385.00 GBP from xxxx 
*ATTENTION*

View the details of this transaction online after we receive the tracking number

This transaction will appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview as soon as you get mail us back the tracking number .With this no buyer can stop payment with a false claim that there is no longer any transaction between the two of you after you might have shipped.

We are your mediator we stand between both the buyer and the seller because we have our reputation to protect.You can now ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address below. You Can Call Us On This Phone Number...

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVEDbut will not be credited into your account until we receive the tracking number that will be given to you at the Post Office after you send  package to the address giving to you send us the verification at our customer care:  as to secure both the buyer and the seller".

Now this scam is axiomatically fake and riddled with spelling errors also trying to inform me that PayPal would not credit money paid into my account. Ridiculous. 

Regardless of the situation money that is actually paid into your account can either be reversed and held by PayPal, Show a negative balance in your account which will be in red writing, credit the money being green and they have absolutely no dealings with NIgeria. I emphasise NO DEALINGS WITH NIGERIA messages proposing the item be shipped to Nigeria is a total scam and just ignore the message. Funds will always show in your account on PayPal regardless of the situation and will always always appear in your recent account overview to show buying activity. 

I deeply understand the suffering that this scam has caused over the past year and hate the fact that it is still in motion. But this guide will help give you a clearer overview about what is required when receiving emails suggesting you ship to Nigeria. If it is an eBay transaction always make sure that's where it stays and isn't outside of eBay and if they send you Outlook messages externally that is a definite scam transaction suggesting that seller fees won't incur. If they also claim they'll pay up to £50 or so to cover postage this also indicates a scam and you have of course the horrible and tragic spelling that a year 6 student doing their SAT's could pick up. It's THAT BAD. 

I hope this guide prevents any false transactions in the future saving you your gadgets and hard earned possessions as I understand the severity of this scam. Check carefully through the PayPal messages that seem genuine they will always have grammatical errors and always check your PayPal account to see if any money is pending, it shoud show in account overview. If you are unsure make sure you call PayPal if you really can't tell before shipping your goods for free. 

Cheers and I hope your possessions stay intact.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.