Fraud, Nigeria

gdowling1992
New Community Member

WATCH OUT!!!
Fraud from 23401 Nigeria.

Have rang so many companies and nothing can be done even if you have insurance.  Never send to Nigeria.  Ever. You lose your money. I have lost 340GBP

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

Atlantat
New Community Member

<removed>has sent you an Auction Payment with PayPal(Routing Code:C840-L001-Q999-T5365). You have an Instant Payment of £260.00 GBP from <removed> Payment Details Transaction ID: 8S380593UR606674N Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal Not Available Pushchair 1 £140.00 GBP £140.00 GBP Shipping &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Handling via World Wide Speed Post to 03301 (includes any seller handling fees) £120.00 GBP Shipping Insurance (not offered): -- Sales Tax : £00.00 GBP Total: £260.00 GBP Additional note: I have made the payment, so I have forwarded your details to the Shipping Company who will pick up the item, please send the pick up cost to them as we discussed and arrange with them the pick up date and time. Thanks. Shipping Information Address: <removed>Craigslist <removed>. United Kingdom Shipping Method: The item will be picked up from the seller's Location by World Wide Speed Post Agent. Address Status: Confirmed If you have any question regarding the pick up, please contact the Delivery Company ) or your buyer. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team PayPal Email ID PP1268 Name: <removed>Address : <removed> Street, City: <removed>. This is a SCAM!!!! Tried to get shipping costs scammed out of me, but I was way ahead of them! Why would anyone purchase a pushchair and have it shipped overseas costing £120!! All scammers! What I'm really peeved about is, I thought I had sold my pushchair for £130, gutted I could really have done with those Pennies. Three emails I've received from these scammers, but I'm ignoring all of them, send re listing my pushchair.. Only hoping Gumtree can do something about these scammers... Jules <removed>

Login to Me Too

Yousaf95
New Community Member

OMG i have just had the same scammers email me...I thought i initially recieved an email from PAYPAL regarding security but when I checked the email address its a fake address! People please be aware...!!! Check everything thoroughly!

Login to Me Too

AmyMcIntosh11

A women on eBay who claimed to be from America bought an iPhone from me and then send me emails stated she needed a tracking number before she sent it and she wanted it sent to her Nigerain pastor. She even sent me a fake email from eBay stating the item had been paid for and it looked pretty geniune but I checked the actual email it had been sent from and it wasn't eBay. Some poor grammer was noticable to see that it was fake but my name was used in the emails so it was convincing, I forwarded them to Paypal and they confirmed it was fake. Pleased I also saw this topic and know for sure it was all a scam and its not only me! Everyone should watch out for this when selling online, so annoying. 

Login to Me Too

Maria40
Contributor
Contributor
Hi i have 1 problem with 1 lady I have selling buggy is text me to mach of course email only is tell me about is send me £600 I need to pey from my pocket £230 for agent who is need to come and collected buggy but is tell me first pey then leter if u pey your £600 coming your account because buggybis £350 and this agent £230 .Is tell me her eria not have western union and if I'm help her like this but I'm scared is send me information PayPal this lady send u money from your account .But I call PayPal nothi g have . Too mach time I tell her if I'm resive money first then I send thus people.is very strange because is start scared me police. What i doo.meybe somebody give advice is same this lady from Nigeria.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maria40

Its a SCAM.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to pay shipping agents out of your own money before a payment is released.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

New1988land
Contributor
Contributor

Have also nearly fell for this scam, selling my car on eBay and a guy claiming to be offshore on a rig wanted to buy as a surprise for his daughter and asked to pay through paypal when I received fake paypal emails confirming payment it looked genuine apart from the grammatical errors of course! Then got email saying all I have to do is send £250 to the shipping company before I could access the payment in paypal! So I checked my actual paypal account and no money was pending, so I checked the emails against genuine ones and there were obvious differences so I was cautious. And knew something was not right. Address to send money to was <removed> Beware of this type of scam, I almost fell for it! They even sent me threatening emails supposedly from paypal saying I'd be reported to federal police because they suspected me as a scanner because I wouldn't send them the £250 for shipping before I could be paid the money for my car through paypal!!! I must say quite convincing but I was very cautious !!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly why would paypal want you to use a rival service ie western union rather than themselves??

Secondly why are you using paypal for a motor vehicle as there is NO seller protection for motor vehicles.

Thirdly Nigerians cannot own a paypal account.

Fourthly do you really think paypal would notify the federal police (which is american by the way), because of a £250 bill??

Glad you weren't scammed though. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

New1988land
Contributor
Contributor
I have no idea why! And didn't know u shouldn't use paypal for a car . And I knew the emails about the FBI were fake and knew it was a scam as soon as they asked me to send money so I haven't fallen for it. I have since had another email from someone else about wanting to buy my car immediately and pick up today which I've ignored as I'm now very cautious about scammers 😞
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

My advice >> DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR MOTOR VEHICLES. There is no seller protection apart from the fact you invite lots of scammers emailing you.

What they do is send you a FAKE email to say they have paid you extra money to pay a shipping agent for them via western union........they don't want your car the scam is that western union payment.

I would state cash on collection or direct bank transfer and once you have checked the funds are in your bank account then you can release the car keys.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

soulsurfer
New Community Member

New1988land - think we may have had the same person today.

Buyer replied to Gumtree ad. Text first saying interested in car, was car still for sale and for us to respond to email address.

I emailed confirming car was for sale

They come back asking price of car (was in ad), how long we owned and when serviced - note no name on emails, not signing off - left blank.

We respond - receive email back saying happy with price and condition (have not seen car??).  Ask us to send email address to make Paypal payment.  They will then instruct their shipping company to collect once we provide our address.

We emailed back - asking don't they want to see car? 

They reply that they are 'offshore' and do not have the cash and Paypal is safe.  Send us link to Paypal to open an account in case we don't have one.

We haven't replied.  If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.